[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you read it, /lit/? I just finished reading it and all I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Have you read it, /lit/? I just finished reading it and all I can say is that I'm disappointed. Amis has the most geometrical prose I have ever encountered. Reading him is such a chore at some points, and the satire of pretentiousness in academia (one of the main themes of the book) is so glaringly obvious that it's hard to even have a giggle while reading this book.

Why are campus novels almost always 'satire', and why do they all suck?
>>
>>7693450
i went in hearing that it was clever and funny, but i went away from it disappointed, i didn't feel the need to finish it, really. it felt rather sterile. Have you tried reading any Saki?
>>
>>7693450
Never even heard of it, actually. And campus novels need to have some sort of angle to not be pointless. Satire is the easiest angle. Though it is a shitty setting in general, yeah.
>>
>>7693450

yeah, they blow, authors are basically people whose lives are organized around campus aspirations. nowhere else considers their life's work worthwhile, whereas among sterile academics they're gods. can't make fun of what validates your existence and it's painful to watch them fake it.
>>
i hear Jakob Von Gunten by walser isn't too bad.
>>
read it, thought some of it was funny, mostly his different faces and the major or whatever the hell he was slapping the annoying girl's face to calm down her hysterical fit
also the dean whose laugh sounded like it came from old movies about castles and murder
>>
>>7693450
Kingsly Anus was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7693450
I have his short stories and they're mildly entertaining. Extremely mild, almost insipid.
>>
>>7693458
>can't make fun of what validates your existence
Yes you can. In fact, I'd say one isn't mentally sound unless they can do just that.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.