[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some resources for learning IPA?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: IPA_in_IPA.png (7 KB, 562x148) Image search: [Google]
IPA_in_IPA.png
7 KB, 562x148
I think this is the most related board to the subject.

What resources, like websites, books, charts etc. would you recommend for learning IPA?

I guess there are some books devoted to it. Which are they? Is it worth reading them?

Suggest what you deem helpful.
>>
I want this too.
>>
>>7693426
Surprisingly, I still haven't received any answers.

To add something which I didn't before: interactive websites, or something akin to it, are very appreciated.
>>
Just use wikipedia, it's not hard to learn.
>>
>>7693257
the very basic explanation of it is it divides the consonants in the world's languages along just three* features that describe how the sound is produced: voicing, place of articulation, and manner of articulation. the vowels have different features: height, front/backness, and roundness.
*there's more than 3 features really, but for english and many other (especially indo-european) languages you just need the three.

voicing: your "vocal chords" vibrate when you talk, but not when you're producing voiceless sounds. if you hum or sustain a vowel sound like /a/, your vocal chords vibrate. you can actually feel the vibration if you put your finger on your larynx while you're producing a voiced sound like a vowel. on the other hand, voiceless sounds are produced by passing air through your mouth without vibrating the vocal chords. if you put your finger on your larynx while articulating a voiceless sound, you won't feel any vibration. to really feel the difference, you can compare the s sound to the z sound, which have the same place and manner of articulation, but s is voiceless and z is voiced.

place of articulation (POA): it's where your tongue restricts the air flow in order to produce the sound. m, p, and b all have a "bilabial" POA, meaning you close your lips in order to produce them. f and v have a "labiodental" POA, meaning you restrict (though in this case you don't completely cut off) the airflow with your lower lip and upper teeth. k, g, and the "ng" sound are all "velar" POA sounds, which means the airflow is restricted at the velum at the back of the mouth. you can kind of get a feel for where the different POAs are by feeling where you tongue touches when you make different sounds.

manner of articulation (MOA): it's how you restrict the airflow to make the sound. the sounds p, t, k, b, d, and g all have the MOA "stop" because you completely block the airflow in order to produce them. m, n and ng are "nasal" MOA sounds because you redirect the air through your nose for those sounds. f, v, s, z, and some others are "fricatives," which means that the air flow is tightly restricted but not stopped completely (there's still a continuous airflow, it's just highly restricted).

some additional things about english sounds: if you haven't learned english as a second language, you may not be aware that english has two "th" sounds, a voiced one and a voiceless one. the "th" in words like "the," "this," and "bathe," is voiced, but the "th" in words like "thing," "with," and "bath" is voiceless. both sounds have the same POA and MOA, they just differ in voicing.
"ng" is it's own sound, it's not a combination of "n" and "g" in some way, it's a voiced velar nasal, no "n" or "g" involved.
we have a sound which we don't have a standard way of writing, the "s" in "measure." it's a voiced post-alveolar fricative.
>>
>>7695329
the pairs of sounds (p,b), (t,d), (k,g), (s,z), (f,v), (ch, j), ("sh", s in measure), and (th in thing, th in this), all have the exact same MOA and POA, and only differ in voicing, with the left sound being voiceless.
hope this is helpful. >>7693526 if you want interactivity I don't know of any resources, did you want like a quiz or something?
>>
>>7695335
also, most linguists that I know know the IPA for english, but they don't know the full IPA. I don't know anyone who knows the entire thing, there's just too much on there to memorize. the important thing is to know how it works, and then if you're wondering about a sound you'll know where to look for it on the chart.
>>
I feel like the /int/ sticky might have some info about this
>>
>>7695374
I wouldn't think this is the kind of thing /int/ would be too interested in
>>
>>7695391
>I wouldn't think this is the kind of thing /int/ would be too interested in
>/int/ literally has a sticky about language learning
>>
>>7695405
yeah but this wouldn't be their approach to learning. it's my understanding that that board is more concerned with learning languages in order to travel and read and do cultural things, but IPA is more of a linguistics resource.
>>
>>7695329 and others thanked by me.
>>
ipachart.com

I suggest reading books about phonology of various languages to see how it works. Your native language is a good place to start, but do have a look at languages different from yours to get an idea of the extensiveness of the phonetic system.

P.S. I know a fair bit about the IPA and phonology. So feel free to ask any questions.
>>
>>7696520
Has your pronounce in foreign languages been improved by learning ipa?
>>
>>7693257
I recommend you the IPA courses on the Memrise App. Alongside with a good Introductory Book from your Uni library it can be really fun.
>>
>>7696580
Not that guy, but yes, once you learn how phones are articulated it's really only a matter of practice before you pronounce a language as a natural.
>>
>>7695335
This is no 100% correct. Every language exhibits a certain level of dislocation of coresponding voiced and unvoiced consonant versions. They are not major in English though.

Truth be told, IPA rarely accounts for everything. It s not a particularly great system, For instance, if transcribing about [əˈb̥aʊt] the b̥ symbol can actually be realised in three different ways (in general) and there is very little clue as to which of them to utilise.
>>
>>7697714
(not to mention the final t often being retroflective in many dialects)
>>
>>7696580
Yes. I, nowadays, try to construct pronunciations of words using IPA, and then compare my pronunciation to that of native speakers to correct it.

Worked really well for Russian, and Swedish, for me.
>>
>>7697714
Pretty sure you can move the unvoiced marker to the left or right to accommodate all three variations. It takes a little more effort, but it's worth it. If only Wiktionary utilised it for Danish.
>>
>>7697714
my description was for the level of simple phonology. once you get into serious phonology the ipa is purely a notational convention, and phonetically of course the ipa doesn't capture everything.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.