[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a known paradox anywhere in literature that describes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1446203128201.jpg (943 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
1446203128201.jpg
943 KB, 1600x1071
Is there a known paradox anywhere in literature that describes an inability to make up your mind about anything? Something similar to "What the Tortoise Said to Achilles" but not quite so much about laying down rules. I'm looking for a paradox about the human mind, specifically.

The mind is always strengthening some neural pathways while others are weakening from neglect. A good number of books related to psychology and neuroscience (and self-help shit) enjoy pointing out the malleability of the human brain.

Although this understanding of malleability is rather modern, I'm sure there must be a philosopher or artist who describes a specific paradox where you can't really be absolutely sure about anything, simply because your mind is always changing slightly. The organization of information will never be the same. Even when you reinforce one idea, you do it at the cost of others and the general overview still changes.
>>
>>7692794
off the top of my head note from the underground, crime and punishment
>>
>>7692794
What's the pic?
>>
>>7693056
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belshazzar's_Feast_%28Martin_painting%29
>>
>>7693056
I'm afraid I don't remember.

>>7693018
Thanks, I'll look into it.
>>
>>7692794
>inability to make up your mind about anything?

For indecisive egotism you want to at least know about Pessoa

>Being a retired major looks like an ideal thing to me. What a pity you couldn't eternally have been just a retired major.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fernando_Pessoa

Maybe also check out some of the personality philosophers like Kierkegaard (who took years to buy an antique writing desk he absolutely loved) and Jung or more recently Derick Parfitt who has movies that like transcendence and memento that borrow heavily from his thought experiments.

Nietzsche also covers psychology a bit...

>I listened for the echo and I heard only praise

>"I did that" said my memory
>"I could not have done that" said my pride and remains inexorable.
>Eventually, the memory yields.

Hume also has the is-ought paradox, Just because anything is a certain way, doesn't mean it will continue to do so, even factoring for probability, that desire is simply our human expectation talking.
>>
This paradox is called a fun dougie, OP
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.