[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't read very much in the way of philosophy. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (426 KB, 958x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
426 KB, 958x1500
I haven't read very much in the way of philosophy. I've been reading Zarathustra lately.
This is really beautifully written. Really enjoying it. The ideas are fascinating- it resolved for me a sort of existential crisis.
What are some other philosophical books I might like? I've heard Nietzsche is similar to a lot of eastern philosophy- something like that? Or I've also been interested in Plato
>>
>>7691796
Gurdjieff.
>>
>>7691796

What existential crisis did it solve for you?

I would generally advise to start with the Greeks. Plato really is an essential starting point.
>>
>>7691796
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7691800
Sounds cool. I'll take a look at Beelzebub's tales
>>
>>7691817

OP, this is right. Reading other works of philosophy without having read Plato is like reading the great books of the western canon without having read Shakespeare or the King James bible - you *can* do it, but you'll miss an enormous amount.
>>
>>7691817
I guess what it solved for me was the idea that nihilism was somehow 'bad'.
>>
Any particular Plato book I should start with? Republic?
>>
>>7691817
>>7691831
Sorry Mr Whitehead but there's no need to push the one book you read when it lacks relevance. Diogenes and Aristotle are more important to get the swipes Nietzsche is taking in Zarathustra if you want to contextualize the book, but there really isn't much need to contextualize Zarathustra. You either read it and make the mistakes that Zarathustra warned of, or you stop making the mistakes that reading Aristotle or others would have led you to make. Both of you forgot about preAttic philosophy and the range of Attic philosophy because you know nothing more than Plato.
>>7691800
>>7691822
Good dubs and good rec. You should read Heraclitus' fragments also because they have similar ideas and are a very short and enjoyable read.
>>
That part near the end...

When they began worshipping the ass. That was some spooky-pagan shit man, and then Zarathustra went mad with poesy. Just cool to read while listening the finale of Richard Strauss symphonic poem Also Sprach Zarathustra (not just the introduction like everyone does).
>>
>>7691836
First the four part death of Socrates, then symposium or straight on to the republic.

After the death of Socrates stuff I recommend Aristophanes' the clouds to lighten the mood.
>>
>>7691796
You have two choices, take what you have and run with it because what lies in front of you with philosophy is mostly more doubt and existential crises, it's hardly a confidence boost that others will know how to value you for, you could probably even read some more of Nietzsche now and appreciate the other ideas a little more.

Or... consider that you have lots of content in Nietzsche alone and he is unique, nothing like it, not like eastern philosophy at all, that book you read represents his magnum opus. If you want to stick with him and appreciate that book to its full extent (I usually advise people reading Zarathustra last, after all the other metaphysical and ethical philosophers because nothing is as good) you'll need herclitus, plato, some of the greek plays, the stoics, then Hamlet, Machiavelli, Montaigne, understand Kants ideas because you'll need it for Schopenhauer's essays, Hume can help some more then you should touch on all Nietzsche's major works and consider the 2 years it took you to arrive at pretty much the same point time well spent.
>>
>>7692988
I forgot Goethe's Faust, how could I forget that.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.