[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys know how to help mend attention spans? In the past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 554x796) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 554x796
Do you guys know how to help mend attention spans? In the past couple of months it's been difficult for me to concentrate while doing anything, but especially reading. I'm not sure why but text that usually would be easy to grasp - I read it differently now, you know? It's hard to explain. Also (and this has been happening outside of reading literature) I've been seeing strange flashes or swirls of light in my peripheral vision, and it can be distracting. What's most frustrating about this is that I have a lot of free time because now I spend most days in bed. So I have no excuse not to be reading.

Do any of you know any sort of relaxation techniques to get me to pay attention and stop jumping onto different trains of thought?
>>
Is the joke that you're being oblivious about how obvious it is you should see a doctor? I don't get it
>>
>>7690991
Okay.

For five minutes before reading, sit down on the floor facing an undecorated wall.

Focus on your breathing, either counting in increments of four (1,2,3,4,2,2,3,4,3,2,3,4,etc.) or thinking 'in' and 'out.'

After you've got that down, start trying to be aware of every part of your body, starting with your toes, and going up to your shins, your thighs, pelvis, stomach, chest, shoulders and arms, your chin, mouth, and ears, etc.

And then try and hold that awareness. It's okay to think of other things while doing this but you're not supposed to -- don't berate yourself or get frustrated if it happens, just redirect your thoughts back to your breath and your body.

After five minutes, start reading.
>>
>>7691025
Thank you very much
>>7691013
Why? There's nothing wrong with me. I'm not sure what it is but I'm sure it's just unfocused energy or something.
>>
>>7690991
>What's most frustrating about this is that I have a lot of free time because now I spend most days in bed
Why? Do you feel too tired to get up?
>>
File: friedrich-hegel-2.jpg (69 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
friedrich-hegel-2.jpg
69 KB, 1000x1000
>>7690991
OP's Spirit has ascended to a higher-level of awareness which demands more self-disciplin. OP feels like he can't pay attention, but what has really happened is that he can no longer skim. OP is one step closer to becoming Absolute Knowledge.

- G.W.F. Hegel
>>
>>7691060
Not trying to turn this into a blog thread, but I am tired a lot. Though the reason for my withdrawal is because I've generally grown indifferent to things I usually do. There's just not much point in getting out of bed unless it's an important event.
>>
>>7690991
How was the acid Charlie?
>>
>>7691079
It's OK, I just asked because I'm also unable to concentrate, always very tired and spend most of my days in bed, and for me it turned out to be because of undiagnosed medical issue(s).

Of course it could be just depression or something, but given all of your symptoms, I think you might want to see a doctor, at least if they continue to last. Even though you (like me) may grow accustomed to such a life after a while, it's not really normal at all.
>>
http://schizophrenia.com/earlysigns.htm
>>
>>7690991
>Do you guys know how to help mend attention spans?
Watch a pot of water boil.

Also you could have brain problems, see a doctor. It's probably lack of sleep, stress and/or caffeine consumption causing it.
>>
You have either brain tumor or schizophrenia go to a doctor fuck
>>
>>7691534
(It's way more likely to be a temporal/frontal lobe problem like bipolar or epilepsy, or just plain old migraines or similar)
>>
>>7691157
OP here a lot of these describe me in the last couple of months, but I'm not hearing voices yet I don't think....hear lots of doors opening and closing, but that's because of a demon in my house (he started coming less and less after I began praying the rosary everyday so it's all good and handled)
>>
>>7691560
Kek
>>
>>7691560
Actually scratch that, I HAVE heard voices but they've been very brief (like one or two seconds) and it's only ever when I'm thinking for long periods of time so you could probably chalk that up to an active imagination and being absorbed in whatever you're wondering about
>>
>>7690991
>I've been seeing strange flashes or swirls of light in my peripheral vision

Go to your primary care physician. He will probably send you to a neurologist and eye doctor.

This is something that needs to be checked out. I'm not trying to scare you but you never know if it could be serous. Especially coupled with exhaustion those symptoms would make me suspicious of something weird going on in your noggin.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.