[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Big news
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 640x547) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 640x547
Big news
>>
>>7689943
Is he big enough to live off his books now, or does he still have to work part time as a starbucks barrista.
>>
The state of literature has gotten this bad?
>>
>>7689990
Just this board, if you cared you would be getting this kind of news from the NYRB
>>
>>7689943
>Beyond Existentialism
Lmao, that McKenna thing - people in academic circles are currently wanking over that old hack as hell, especially with Burning Man going mainstream and MAPS gaining popularity. Tao Lin knows how to cash-in.
>>
>>7689984
based on his instagram, he's making a living making mandalas and taking photographs of his parent's dog
https://www.instagram.com/mtgjdfjdfgukkhddtyhcffghhvdfyg/
>>
>leave society
>"4"th novel
>literally an anon
>literally browses 4chan

fucking dropped this website
>>
he's doing it! he's finally writing the big hikikomori/4chan/r9k/ novel every idiot that browses this place thinks they came up with and thought was so original!

can't wait tao!
>>
>>7690631
kek
Except it's gonna be awful.
>>
>>7690631
>tfw I'm currently writing a novel about leaving society
>tfw invested over a year of studying non-fiction about the subject I'm pursuing
>tfw going to be compared to Tao if I ever get it published

FUCK OOOOOOOOOOOOOF REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7690818

spare us, go learn to code so you can eventually write something that will eventually affect another human being's life.
>>
>>7690818
as if that subject hasn't been overdone since the 1800s
>>
>>7690818
publish it soon & be remembered as ahead of ur time
>>
>>7689943
How did Tao Lin and DF Wallace come to be the mainstay of this board? I've been lurking for almost a month and I don't get it. There's more posts about these people than there is about any other author.

I'm not passing value judgment on anyone btw. I've not read them (or heard of them before coming here) so can't judge. Just curious.
>>
>>7690899
They're both shit authors who meme easily.
>>
Who /hyped/
>>
>>7690899
>what is a meme
>>
>>7690101
>>7689984
what? are you guys serious? he still isn't making enough money to live off his writing alone? jesus.
>>
>>7689990
Do you even need to ask? Vintage publishing Tao Lin's work is evidence that it's all gone to shit.
>>
>>7690899
both sort of appeals to young middle class guys, which is the majority on /lit/. only one of them has discernible talent though
>>
>>7689943
more like big snooze, amirite r amirite
>>
>>7690631
>he's doing it! he's finally writing the big hikikomori/4chan/r9k/ novel every idiot that browses this place thinks they came up with and thought was so original!

hah

>leave society
>implying i was ever a part of it in the first place

nice try tao you normalfag
>>
>>7690927
>thinks you can make a living writing
kekked
>>
>>7690927
Very few writers make a living at it. There's a few like Stephen King, Dan Brown, and a few who've made big bucks writing YA, but they're a minority.
>>
>>7690927
It's virtually impossible without being a legitimate bestseller.
>>
>>7690960
tao lin isn't a legitimate bestseller?
>>
>>7690959
How much do you think someone like Pynchon or McCarthy earns from their writing? Enough to support a comfy upper-middle-class lifestyle? More? Less?
>>
>>7690964
Pynchon is a literal millionaire living in a mansion. I would assume McCarthy's lifestyle is the same.
>>
>>7690938
>only one of them has discernible talent though

I wonder what Bloom would say about Lin. Considering his current state of health I doubt he'd make it to page 10 of Taipei alive.
>>
>>7690964
Back when McCarthy was writing quality stuff like Blood Meridian and Suttree he was living in a god damned barn, it's only in the last 10 years or so with all his hollywood crap and oprah appearances that he has started to bank

Pynchon ended up marrying one of the most powerful literary agents in NYC, he would probably be comfortably middle class at this late date if he hadn't I'm sure, but back when V, GR and Vineland were being written I imagine he would have had to moonlight or live very meagerly
>>
>>7690989
>back when V, GR and Vineland

What was he doing in the 17 years between GR and Vineland?
>>
>>7690989
Doesn't Tommy come from old money? He was set for life from the get go.
>>
>>7690997
No one knows. He was in Mexico for some of that time but it's a mystery as to what he was actually doing
>>
The drugs literally cured Tao's autism. He's legit now.
>>
>>7689943

Big, if true.
>>
>>7690966

Pynchon lives in an a studio apartment in New York, dude. Don't know what you're talking about. McCarthy lives in a trailer in New Mexico and has to go get coffee from the nearby science think tank every day because he can't afford to buy it.
>>
>>7690997
>>7691091

Was the apartment in California before or after GR? That place was tiny as fuck.
>>
>>7691571
>McCarthy lives in a trailer

u wot m8. you can't be serious.
>>
>>7691606

PROVE ME WRONG, FAGGOT! SHOW ME WHERE MCCARTHY LIVES!
>>
>Beyond Existentialism
Tao, the early 60s called....
>>
>>7691632
i heard he can't even afford a dumpster with his meager worth of $35 million

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/cormac-mccarthy-net-worth/
>>
Pynchon comes from old money, Cormac McCarthy isn't so broke he can't afford coffee-- the guy has had several movie deals, sold a screenplay, and has 1 novel that is read nationwide in highschools every year and another (if not several, but definitely BM) that does the same in colleges.

He's set. He may not have millions (then again, with The Road, No Country and BM he may) but he's not living in a trailer in NM drinking other people's coffee, you meme.
>>
>>7691636
that website is garbage, too.
>>
>>7691647
the only thing that's garbage here is your outlook on life
>>
>>7691571
McCarthy was poor as fuck back in his youth (Suttree is apparently his most autobiographical), but hasn't been that impoverished in a long time.
>>
>>7691636
>>7691644

You guys are in denial. McCarthy is sitting by a campfire somewhere near the Texas/Mexico border (not sure what side), staring up at the stars and wondering what he has to do to convince /lit/ he's the better than Pynchon.
>>
>>7691658
McCarthy may very well be sitting by a campfire near the border, but he still has millions in the bank.
>>
>>7690927
tao lin's dad invented lasik. he's basically a trust funder.
>>
>>7689998
>MAPS
?
>>
Fuck off fatherdubs
>>
>>7689984
he teaches and has rich parents
>>
>>7689998
lmfaoooooo McKenna was a fucking genius in about 13 different disciplines you dip
>>
>>7689998
I detest McKenna and anyone who touts psychedelics as the ultimate truth/insight.

Though, that being said as a researcher in addiction, MAPS has been fairly helpful and have interesting studies.
>>
>>7691784
Except they are the ultimate insight anon. Within reason and with moderation obviously, but there is no greater learning experience a human can have. Anyone who disagrees hasn't had that experience.

Also you're a turd for reducing McKenna to that.
>>
>>7689943
dude weed lmao
>>
Okay, but has he confirmed if Megan Boyle is dead?
>>
>>7691672
are you serious?? damn i never knew that... what what
>>
>>7691670
I bet McCarthy lives on the border so he can take his Bowie knife and occasionally kill the Mexican immigrants that pass his way. He smears their blood upon his wrinkled face and knows again the vigor of his youth.
>>
>>7691658
He's already got me.
>>
File: 14451250390.png (113 KB, 492x448) Image search: [Google]
14451250390.png
113 KB, 492x448
>>7690844
>any programmer barring the top 100 in the world
>effecting anything at all
>>
>>7691997
>In 1991, J.T. Lin was granted a US patent (US5520679) for a new technology using a flying-spot for customized LASIK that has been used worldwide. The first US patent (in 1993) using an eye-tracking device to prevent decentration in LASIK procedures was granted to S. Lai.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK#Patent

...huh.
Then J.T. Lin was convicted of fraud and Tao writes about his dad going to prison for fraud.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2002/12/16/daily53.html
http://www.mhpbooks.com/tao-lin-speaks-about-the-day-his-father-was-sentenced-to-prison/
Seems legit.
>>
File: tao lin.jpg (670 KB, 1330x1330) Image search: [Google]
tao lin.jpg
670 KB, 1330x1330
>>7689943
I'm excited about the novel, probably going to be NEETcore as fuck.
>>
>>7691678
http://www.maps.edu.mv/
this i think?
>>
>>7691678
>>7692530
http://www.maps.org/
>>
>>7692004
Nah. He probably jerks off onto his bowie knife and calls it Tortilla and cries himself to sleep and and and.
>>
is he the j mascis of literature
>>
File: hayao_miyazaki_2905000c.jpg (54 KB, 460x468) Image search: [Google]
hayao_miyazaki_2905000c.jpg
54 KB, 460x468
>existentialism
>2016
>>
>>7693758
>beyond existentialism
>beyond

learn to fucking read jesus c hrist
>>
>beyond existentialism
>lmao just take drugs and you don't have to worry about meaning
>>
>>7690902
>>7690921
>>7690938
>implying tao isn't the biggest shill
>implying OP isn't tao
>implying tao isn't here right now
>>
>>7693980
>yfw the last line of Beyond Existentialism is "The Tao goes to bed."

(This one's free, OP.)
>>
>>7690997
running from government spies
>>
Pretty fucking hyped 2bh

Can't imagine how Beyond Existentialism will be any different from Taipei though
>>
>>7690997
writing M&D most likely. Unless you think it took him only 7 years to write that
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.