[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many books do you own that you haven't read yet? Be honest.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 13790488833324.gif (2 MB, 310x325) Image search: [Google]
13790488833324.gif
2 MB, 310x325
How many books do you own that you haven't read yet? Be honest.
>>
10 on my bookshelf.
>>
50 - 60 at last count.
>>
Probably about 600 out of the thousand books I own.

I'm working on it, honest.
>>
>>7687280
Like 10%, and most are translations of russian works that i found out are subpar, and plays which I cant bring myself to read.
>>
>>7687290
>600

You didn't hit like, 500 and think "Maybe I should read some of these before buying more"
>>
>>7687304

No, I thought, "Eh, these are a buck each and I have tons of room in my apartment, so why not buy more?"
>>
>>
>>7687280
I'm in the process of reading it.
We're talking physical, right? not ebooks? 4856 ;_;
>>
>>7687308
>his backlog isn't carefully curated and chronologically prepared to optimize his short and long term future reading endeavors

How do you cope? Seriously I have a 4-6 month plan for each of a few different genres, and it's extending further into the future as I slowly make my way forward. I buy books at least a month in advance to ensure they arrive in time for me to start reading them, since they're sometimes uncommon texts that take up to a few weeks to arrive even from amazon.

>he isn't eagerly awaiting June to receive his pre-ordered copy of the second and final volume of a soon to be newly completed translation of Spinoza
>he isn't annoyed that this delivery, planned for since December, was pushed back from March, forcing him to rearrange his reading timeline
>he doesn't waste disproportionate amounts of precious time each day fastidiously perfecting the logistics of finding, buying, and reading his books
>he isn't kept up at night mentally revising his long term reading plans, half hoping for sleep and half excited for the future and the books it holds
>>
more than 100
>>
>>7687413
It must be hard living with autism
>>
>>7687280
my backlog was humongous but then I left the country for a year and worked on a few books that I brought. Since I've been back I have not been working and thus have no money and a lot of time and have been reading a lot. It never felt possible before but now I feel like I will finish all of the books I have then I'm going to try reading more in other languages.
>>
i'd say it hovers between 15 - 25 %
>>
>>7687280
I generally don't buy a new book until I finish my current one
>>
I'm not sure, I have a bunch of short story anthologies I haven't finished. I like me some genre fiction, especially horror and in quick short doses.
>>
>>7687647
Is this autism-meme a byproduct of the reddit invasion?
>>
>>7687280
Well I'm a fucking Neet shut in who still lives at home and my parents read a lot so I'm gonna say that I've probably read 200-300 of the 2000 books we probably own

>tfw I'm haunted by the anger I feel towards me of the past for not killing myself when I was 16 because I'm too afraid to do it now
>>
>>7687280
Probably like 10-15 of the 50 or so I own.
>>
Definitely somewhere over 100.
>>
File: 1455154303501.gif (858 KB, 325x318) Image search: [Google]
1455154303501.gif
858 KB, 325x318
Several thousand...
>>
>>7687285
70-80.

I buy books at a faster rate than I read them.
>>
>>7688517
dumb frogposter
>>
Nausea
Myth of Sisyphus
>>
>>7687280
14, plus two in progress. In order of what's next:
>Almost finished If on a winter's night a traveller
>Just started The Recognitions
>Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago
>The Gulag Archipelago (I'm counting the two volumes as one book)
>Tomson Highway's Kiss of the Fur Queen
>A Brief History of Seven Killings
>J.P. Sartre: Being and Nothingness
>Piers Plowman by Langland
>and The Sappho Companion compiled by Margaret Reynolds
>Dickens' Bleak House
> '' David Copperfield
>Gertrude Stein's Everybody's Autubiography
>Soseki's I Am a Cat
>Les Misérables
>Saul Bellow's Herzog
>Wittgenstein's Tractatus

Everything after Bleak House is more or less tentative in its position.
>>
File: 1454094050744.png (546 KB, 673x383) Image search: [Google]
1454094050744.png
546 KB, 673x383
couple hundred

If we're being honest

70 from the library alone
>>
>>7687280
Too many books to count. I have eight good sized bookshelves. I would estimate I have read about 60% of them. Lately I have been trying to prune my collection a bit. Donating duplicates, and books that do not have anymore interest in.
>>
>>7687280
Cutest gif in the universe
>>
Two.. and two books started and never finished. (The Idiot and Journey to the End of The Night)
>>
Thought-provoking thread.
>>
Almost all of them. 50 or so. I always read library books instead.
>>
>>7687280
Do you want me to count?
>>
>>7687280
Probably about a good 70+, but this is why I'm trying to read more and catch up with my collection.

Plus, the cheap prices of many books means I can pick up a whole bundle when I get paid, making my backlog more difficult to tackle.
>>
>>7687413
Absolutely embarassing
>>

>wasting money on physical books in the digital age

I download them as i read them
>>
>>7690321
Pleb
>>
File: jjkhhffghj.jpg (2 MB, 1716x1380) Image search: [Google]
jjkhhffghj.jpg
2 MB, 1716x1380
I have over 100GB worth of ebooks on my hard drive.
That's more than 200,000 books.

I spent literally days fixing all of the meta data and tags, at this point it's a well organised mega library. No duplicates, some shit but I tried to delete all of the asbolute dog shit as I was going through...

Some of the books I have are rare and sought after (even in digital form) and I've converted some to ''ebooks'' myself from physical copies. If there was ever a fire in my home, I'd make sure to grab my fucking hard drive. It's the choicest collection of books ever written, I gotta say. 90 percent is probably worthless but that other 10 is fucking golden. Pristine. I'd genuinely give my limbs to be able to read them all in my lifetime.

I've read maybe 1k books in total.
>>
>>7690329
Enjoy your overly cumbersome book collection. I mean, you don't read them, but they serve as nice cheap ornaments and satisfy your compulsive buying habits.

Meanwhile i'll enjoy my instantaneous delivery and free content.
>>
>>
Dune: Read some, but i put it on hold
Divine Comedy: Read Inferno gonna read the rest later
10 000 Leagues Beneath the Sea: Gonna read it when i finish my current book
The Illiad: reading it on the side as part of my eductation
>>
>>7687280
Bleak House

Depressed already so i'm avoiding it.
>>
1 meellion
>>
About half
>>
>>7690372
I'm rich so I don't care
>>
>>7690432
Dickens novels arent depressing
>>
>>7687280

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
Society of the Spectacle
An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
Underworld
Paradise Lost
The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Lord of the Flies
Gravity's Rainbow (what can I say, I'm a meme-loving fuck)
Molloy, Mallone Dies, The Unnameable
The Collected Dorothy Parker
Johnny Got His Gun
The Plague
Orwell's Collected Essays
Narcissus and Goldmund
A Tale of Two Cities

Apart from that, I'm only halfway through Ficciones, as I only read a couple of stories occasionally, and have so far read 10 plays from The Collected Works of William Shakespeare.

I've got a week of vacation now though, and nothing planned but reading. I reckon I'll cut at least 2 or 3 off my backlog.
>>
Maybe around 200. I buy SF/F by the stack from a used book store (run by the library, but mostly not discards). I've been deliberately pacing myself so that I can build up a big backlog. Otherwise I'll end up re-reading my entire collection for the Nth time.
>>
>>7687413
I'm embarrassed to admit I do the same. With any medium, not only books.
It's almost more satisfying than actually consuming the medium.
>>
>>7687280
I can get pretty much anything I want on demand on the internet so I consider that part of my collection, I've read about .000000001% of it
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.