[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dearest c/lit/orises. I'm a regular /fit/izen and this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11
File: the-inferno-canto-22-1.jpg (1 MB, 2262x1767) Image search: [Google]
the-inferno-canto-22-1.jpg
1 MB, 2262x1767
Dearest c/lit/orises.

I'm a regular /fit/izen and this is legit my first time posting on here- so be gentle or I'll fuckin' wail on you nerds.

My 21'st is coming up and I'm looking to buy some decent books as a present to myself.
I usually read non-fiction, stuff on axis WWII, fitness. I'm not big on fiction, only read Stephen King, some of the divine comedy, and quite a bit of Blake's poems.

I was recently recommended by /fit/ towards Yukio Mishima- long story short; which ones do I get/would you recommend?

A hundred thanks, maybe less, maybe more.
>>
File: 4e7.jpg (29 KB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
4e7.jpg
29 KB, 680x382
>>7686991
>so be gentle or I'll fuckin' wail on you nerds
>Stephen King
We recommend that you kill yourself plz
>>
>>7687010

Eventually, not anytime in the next year though- senpai.
>>
>>7686991
S T I C K Y
>>
>>7686991
As a /fit/izen we at /lit/ would recommend you begin with Eric Carle's HUNGRY CATERPILLAR. After you've slogged through that, no doubt a massive endeavor for you, you should move on to GO DOGS GO. You should probably stop there or you will risk losing your /fit/izenship as you realize how gay you and all /fit/izens actually are, and that your severe cultural myopia and somatic hypertrophy are simply a result of an intellectual privation which will inevitably be lost if you continue on this dangerous path of "reading books."

Go home, friend.
>>
File: Yukio_mishima.jpg (266 KB, 1483x2205) Image search: [Google]
Yukio_mishima.jpg
266 KB, 1483x2205
read the sticky for general book recommendations
>>
>>7687028
rek'd
>>
>>7687019
..If you don't like fiction read Devil in the White City. It takes place at the end of the 19th century. It's about the architects of the first World's Fair and a famous serial killer who just happened to build a hotel for the occasion. I think you'll enjoy it.
>>
File: 1454793637271.jpg (14 KB, 207x212) Image search: [Google]
1454793637271.jpg
14 KB, 207x212
>>7687029

Nice one, cheers for not being a conceited cunt about it.
>>
>>7687042
>cheers for not being a conceited cunt about it
Please read your OP jesus christ
>>
File: 1448880917258.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1448880917258.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>7687028

Training the body and the mind.
Physically and mentally strong, dude.
No need to get aggressive.
>>
>>7687051

It wasn't sarcastic, it was referring to previous posters.
>>
Fuck these other cunts, OP, they don't even know the Greeks they want everyone to start with are still known by their wrestling names.

You want The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with The Sea if you're into WWII. It's an allegory about Japan after the war.
Sun and Steel is Mishima talking about lifting and aesthetics if you want straight up non-fic.

Stephen King and Blake are a good mix if you want to get into Swedenborg which none of these niggers will read, but who is interesting as a character even if you don't learn Latin. You may also like Goethe since you got through Dante and Blake. If you want something more specific and less deep end than those two, let us know and we'll find something written by another faggot.
>>
>>7686991
>so be gentle or I'll fuckin' wail on you nerds.
>cheers for not being a conceited cunt about it
You'd do well to go back to critiquing half nude snapshots of men m8
>>
>>7687060

Cheers friend, no sarcasm.
>>
read the fucking sticky
>>
>>7687054
lit hates new people even though an average /lit/ user read like 5 books tops

ignore them, they just are projecting their insecurities and will leave you alone sooner or later
>>
Ay lad, fellow /fit/faggot here.

For Mishima, start with either Confessions of a Mask, or Temple of the Golden Pavilion. You may also want to read Sun and Steel, which covers weightlifting.

Also read:

Storm of Steel - Ernst Junger
The Cossacks - Leo Tolstoy (Maudes Translation)
Alcibiades I - Plato
The Saga of the Volsungs
The Nigger of the Narcissus - Joseph Conrad
Lives - Plutarch (Modern Library edition)
The Histories - Herodotus

Also, if you want to learn more about Blake, get the Norton Critical edition of his works.

Ignore all the epic trolls in the thread, I doubt they can even squat 2plate.
>>
>>7687077
good recs here OP. Instead of Alcibiades read The Republic by Plato because you like axis history, and the Republic is Plato putting his fascism into Socrates' mouth.
Ignore the chart faggots besides the Mishima one because they can't answer the question and are just spamming any shit that's vague enough they won't get called on not having read fuck all.
>>
>>7686991
back to your big heavy objects meathead
>>
>>7687097
>The Republic is fascist
>The Republic is a political work
>Socrates as a direct mouthpiece

No OP, start with Alcibiades I.
>>
File: confused-doctor.png (161 KB, 283x424) Image search: [Google]
confused-doctor.png
161 KB, 283x424
>>7687099
>he's limp wristed

Enjoy never achieving Arete.
>>
>>7687100
nigga, it's fascist, like old school fascism. it's spelt Politeia in Greek, and became the Republic in Latin, where it also gave rise to the original fascists, the Romans one. as for Socrates not being a sockpuppet for Plato in the Republic or Alcibiades, lulz, you think Plato wasn't a jelly bitch hungry for Socrates' D, you've misread even the ones where he's not out and out writing slashfic
>>
>>7687108
Yeah you stupido mate. Bet you can't even deadlift 3plate.

Read Theaetetus, Sophist, and Statesman.
>>
>>7687114
kek, someone's butthurt they can't read Greek and misread Plato. don't worry, I'm sure I'll get over it, beetleaf.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 448x432) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 448x432
>>7687118
>it's spelt Politeia in Greek

Yeah I'm sure it is mate ;)
>>
>>7687120
wow you didn't even understand the name.
>>
>>7686991
/fit/ turned /lit/ here. If you like nonfiction, check out some ancient history. Herodotus and Thucydides are grwat for Greece, and Livy is awesome for Rome. There's a lot of cool shit there which will help bridge any reading gap you might have; you basically trick yourself into learning ancient history by reading about Greece spanking Persia or the Romans BTFO everyone.

Livy might be an easier start; personally I found Rome a lot "closer" to me than Greece. No joke, I browse text files of my favorite passages from Livy between sets at the gym; that shit will get you pumped.

>when every man must die, all that mattered was whether he died fighting in the line, where the common chances of war often raised the vanquished and crushed the victor, or whether later on amidst the smouldering ruins of the town, dishonoured by chains and tortured with the lash, he breathed his last before the eyes of wife and children, prisoners in the enemy’s hands.

Also if you have trouble "getting" fiction, check out Susan Wise Bauer's "well educated mind" to give yourself a crash course on how to read different genres. It won't make you a pro, but I can honestly vouch for it giving me a foothold towards understanding literature for the first time.

Also seriously consider the Iliad and the Odyssey.
>>
>>7687127
And you didn't even understand my silly little snipe.

Why would Plato be using a Latin alphabet?

I bet you can't even press 1plate.
>>
>>7687133
Fuck those typos, I'm on my phone.
>>
File: 1425753116621.jpg (427 KB, 1536x2134) Image search: [Google]
1425753116621.jpg
427 KB, 1536x2134
>>7687077
>>7687097

Last time here, many thanks for the tips guys, you sound pretty chill and you have some pretty mad banter with each other, see;
>>7687108
>>7687114
>>7687118
>>7687120

You answered my question and I'm grateful.

Auf wiedersehen!
>>
>>7687149
No probs lad, this place is all about literary banter with some cheeky lads.

Be sure to lurk a little every now and then. Also, SS is better than SL.
>>
>>7687135
Oh sorry, I figured if I gave you it in the original script, you'd cry and wet yourself again, like that time you had to take off your shirt. Turns out you were going to do that anyway. Good thing you didn't understand the anglicized insult from Greek where I called you a punkbitch, you might have to call your mom.
>>7687149
Any time, just read the fucking books before you come back.
>>
File: 1453675453925.jpg (625 KB, 2400x1800) Image search: [Google]
1453675453925.jpg
625 KB, 2400x1800
>>7687133

and thanks to you too
>>
>>7687157
It's been some good banter mate, but I'm off. Have a picture of a big arse.
>>
>>7687179
Sweet
>>
>>7687156
>SS & SL
>Tfw pounding out sheiko bench routine in mild pain reading Silence by Endo listening to the Inception and The Fountain soundtrack

Basically my whole afternoon
>>
>>7686991
We have a sticky.
>>
>>7687010
Don't listen to this guy. Every board has its trolls
>>
>>7686991
Same rules as fit homo

READ THE STICKY
>>
>>7686991

>stuff on axis WWII

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas doesn't count.
>>
>>7687198
/fit/ sticky>>>>>>/lit/ sticky
>>
>>7686991
>wail on you nerds
>implying the rennaisance man doesn't hold mental and physical strength in equal importance
>implying I wouldn't probably just shoot you
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.