[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
J.M. Coetzee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: J.M._Coetzee.jpg (31 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
J.M._Coetzee.jpg
31 KB, 360x480
Where do I start with Coetzee?

I'm mostly interested in his novels.

What should I know going in?
>>
then pick a novel that interests you and read it.
>>
Start with the Greeks to be honest family.
>>
Boyhood
>>
>>7686049
one that interests you the most

one that is most acclaimed

one that is most popular

random out of a hat

chronological

reverse chronological

alphabetical
>>
>>7686049
"Youth" is potentially superficially relatable for you memers who are all about the literary lifestyle.
"Michael K" is great too imho tbqh
>>
>>7686049
Start with Disgrace, it is his best and most readable. Don't watch the John Malkovich movie, you can watch it after reading to compare. A lecherous white professor in Cape Town practically coerces a student three times younger into fucking him. She files harrassment charges and he is suspended. He retires to his daughter's farm, a lesbian with a utilitarian marriage with her black stable guy. She is raped brutally by some black bandits, one of whom is known to them. But the daughter isn't intent on pursuing it legally, etc etc. Basically post-Aparthied South Africa from nostalgic Afrikaner eyes.

I've also read Elizabeth Costello, Life and Times of Michael K and In the Heart of the Country. Costello is practically Coetzee's own lectures on literature told through the fictional protagonist. Michael K isn't as Kafkaesque as the title indicates imo, it was rather mystical and sounded like one long sob story. In the Heart of the Country is an experimental type hard to read novel about a crazy woman and her crazy family in a crazed colonial racist setting written as numbered journal entries. I only finished it because I had paid for it.

I've also started another thread where I compared him to Naipaul slightly. They've often written on the same subject matter, but their tone and perspective is completely different. IMO Naipaul is a more keen observer, being an outsider.
>>
>>7687080
can this be added to the sticky. these threads are so stupid.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.