[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys buy paperback or hardcover books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: books.jpg (2 MB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
2 MB, 1698x1131
Do you guys buy paperback or hardcover books?
>>
>>7685723
It depends.

Price, as is always a factor, may affect my judgement.

Hardbacks last longer than paperbacks, so if the book is worth keeping for some decades (Since that's how long it'll take for most of us to even finish Harvard's, and Lit's canon), then I'll splurge.

Books I don't know about? Translators you don't know enough to trust? Random books you pick up? Paper back.

Books I intend to hold on to? and intend to let sit there till I get to them
Hardcover.
>>
File: Skeli-pitulate.jpg (244 KB, 960x820) Image search: [Google]
Skeli-pitulate.jpg
244 KB, 960x820
>>7687858
>>7685723

Cont.

Also, small books? Paperback. Large books? Hardcover.

Small books aren't Usually Worth the price of hardcover, and don't require the protection.

Large books deteriorate and tear easier if paperback. So hardcover is the way to go.

pic related, sometimes stuff is only available in one or the other for a translator/publisher that you trust though.
>>
>>7685723
Usually go with paperback for fiction and hardback for non-fiction and poetry. Most of the non-fic I read only comes out in hardcover anyway, since it's from university presses.
>>
File: 1454885877918.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1454885877918.gif
2 MB, 200x150
Old school hardcovers with laminate.
>>
Trade paperbacks mostly.

I don't like mass market paperbacks.

Hard cover is nice, but not necessary.
>>
>>7685723
1. I steal digital
2. I buy softcover used if I cannot find a digital copy
3. If the book becomes a top 10 lifechanging book i buy the hardcover.
4. If it is a classic childrens book i buy the hardcover for my kids
>>
File: think of the children.png (663 KB, 1131x828) Image search: [Google]
think of the children.png
663 KB, 1131x828
i prefer ebooks
>>
I scour thrift places and the occasional estate sale, so whatever's there. With some perseverance and diligence I've run into Folio Society, Franklin/Easton, other interesting presses and broad samples of the canon from various publishers in soft/hardcover.
>>
>>7685723
Although I do have several hardcover books I definitely prefer paperback. Can't really say why.
>>
>>7687858
I've bought valuable philosophy books in paper back because that was the only thing available online (where I get my phil from).

How fucked am I in decades? Do paperbacks really start withering away or would it just become really unappealing to look at?

I mean, the pages will start falling off etcetera?
>>
>>7687892
so the laminate can dry out and i can slowly peel it off....
me too anon
>>
>>7685723
It depends on the price. Hardcover books are sexier, but they also hurt quite a bit when you fall asleep while reading in bed. This has happened often enough that the only thing I read in bed is my kindle.
>>
File: humen.jpg (88 KB, 608x448) Image search: [Google]
humen.jpg
88 KB, 608x448
paperback because im poor piece of shit.
also, its less heavy when i carry it around (its just an excuse for my poor ass).
>>
honestly think hardcovers are boring and have too much classic "hardcover aesthetics" that detract from the cover and jacket design imo.

For example, I'd say the simple paperback editions of John William's books that nyrb puts out are by far some of the best editions of any book I've seen. They have beautiful covers, are very durable and are made of quality stock and have great binding. Truly top shelf.
>>
File: tumblr_nvkbf6cZRV1qk516ho1_500.png (528 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvkbf6cZRV1qk516ho1_500.png
528 KB, 480x600
>>7689765
This is their hardcover version of Stoner which I think is ok just because it goes without a jacket. Besides the cover being kind of an odd choice I think this is the best way to do a hardcover
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.