[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Bible required reading before tackling most Western literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: bible-Sunlight.jpg (95 KB, 1600x965) Image search: [Google]
bible-Sunlight.jpg
95 KB, 1600x965
Is the Bible required reading before tackling most Western literature?

I've read Genesis, Exodus and Revelation but I feel like there's a lot of references I'm missing.
>>
Sort of. But the problem is that, unlike works such as the Iliad, trying to read the Bible just as literature makes you miss a lot of the point.
>>
>>7685388
You have to read the Gospels too.
>>
>see a book
>find out if it's heavily influenced by the bible
>find out which passages
>read those relevant sections
does that cure your autism?
>>
>>7685388
If you read it you can use Barth Ehrman's introduction to the New Testament (http://bookzz.org/book/1106739/cf6560) as well as the two Yale Courses and their reading materials to go along with it.

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies

If you want to approach it from a faith based aspect the course "Jesus and the Gospels" from the teaching company (taught by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Timothy_Johnson) approaches the gospels from a theist point of study.

>>7685392
Be aware of Constantine's strong Orthodoxy and rejection of historical critical methodology.
>>
>>7685750
that course is a waste of time for anyone who is only interested in reading the bible for its impact on literature. he literally says that in the first lecture. it's if you're interested in the historical period of the bible and early christianity.
>>
>>7685388
You fell for a meme.
>>
>>7686217
>waste of time
This board is a waste of time. That course is informative and gives you great analysis of the new testament.
>>
>>7685724
>wanting to understand books is autism
>>
>>7685392
Why? It's referenced a lot in other literature, not necessarily religious lit.
>>
>>7688005
That may be true, but it was never designed to be simply read through like it was a novel or something similar. That's probably what he's getting at anyway.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.