[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favourite self-help book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
Favourite self-help book?
>>
gtd easily
>>
>>7683491
Der Einzige und sein Eigenthum
>>
>>7683504
>gtd
which is?
>>
File: bible.png (18 KB, 359x160) Image search: [Google]
bible.png
18 KB, 359x160
>>
Never read one before
>>
>>7683613
Keep it that way. It's watered down philosophy for soccer moms, autists, and plebs.
>>
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>>
One of the whole points of literature is improvement of the soul, fine-tuning of our intuition to nature's richness and life's deep wells.

What is called "self-help" just ends up being a cheaply assembled world schema for allowing you to plug in your pre-existing aspirations, usually a bastardized religious form or pure pseudo-science, just so you can have occasional bursts of recited optimism for the next couple months and make it to the gym, or talk to a girl, or drink less, or whatever the fuck you want to do to make your life slightly less intolerable, all the while fattening the pocket of some dopey pseud so he can finish adding a yoga room to his NorCal mansion.
>>
The Greatest Salesman In The World.
>>
>>7684061
why don't u get a job?
>>
my bat shit crazy step sister gave me this book. and by bat shit crazy i mean get caught outside a strip club getting fucked on a car by a male stripper by your friend crazy.
>>
>>7683589
Getting Things Done. It is quite famous among IT and MBA types because a lot of orgs, including Microsoft, put it on a reading list for employees or something. A lot of so-called industry czars evangelise a lot from that book.
>>
Chicken Soup for the Soul probably stopped someone killing themselves. I think a lot of zen/mindfulness texts are useful, if you consider them self-help.

>>7683671
such edge
>>
>>7685263
I love the New Thought movement. I would also recommend any book pertaining to the subject.
>>
>>
File: htwfaip.jpg (92 KB, 600x948) Image search: [Google]
htwfaip.jpg
92 KB, 600x948
Is this one any good? I hear a lot about it.
>>
>>7687646
disgusting

>>7683491
I've read the power of now. it's interesting but didn't blow me away.

i feel like the more you invest in self help books the more you rely on them.

not a self-help book but an interesting non fiction travel story that involves Buddhism...called "the snow leopard."
>>
>>7689873
It's actually not bad. The author definitely focuses on christian morals and "all of us, together, yay!" but the practical advice it gives can help you improve your relations with others.
>>
>>
>>7690064

dank as fuck
>>
>>7689873
I'm halfway through the newer version "How To Win Friends & Influence People In the Digital Age" and it's actually really good. Surprisingly well written and it feels like the author is actually using the principles therein.
>>
>>7690055
>The author definitely focuses on christian morals
Like what, the Golden Rule?
>>
I remember downloading that book. Haven't read it, yet.

Maybe one day.
>>
>>7684061
>One of the whole points of literature is improvement of the soul, fine-tuning of our intuition to nature's richness and life's deep wells.

what do you suggest then, smarty pants
>>
>>7689873
The whole book is just about basic politeness, followed by an example of someone being polite and why it was good.
>>
>>7684610
rekt
>>
>>7684061
failed writer detected
>>
My diary to be honest with you. Everything you read in there you need to do the complete opposite of.
>>
File: ladda ned.jpg (4 KB, 144x224) Image search: [Google]
ladda ned.jpg
4 KB, 144x224
>>
File: dbo.jpg (83 KB, 600x793) Image search: [Google]
dbo.jpg
83 KB, 600x793
>>
Who reads self-help? It's not even self-help, you're not helping yourself, you're buying a book telling you to what you want to hear.
>>
If you want a "self help" book with more practical advice check out 'Money for Life' by Steve Vernon.
>>
Self-help is such garbage. How is it even remotely helpful? If there's cancer in my life, I know how to deal with it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.