[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about how "Octet" is so bad it almost made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: dfw_animorphs.jpg (54 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
dfw_animorphs.jpg
54 KB, 640x360
Can we talk about how "Octet" is so bad it almost made me stop reading "brief interviews with hideous men" ?

Jesus christ it wasn't even that bad up until the last "hey if I'm meta enough nobody will notice I'm a lazy piece of shit and only finished half of the work I was supposed to do" part.

How he explicitely complains about the kind of person who is manipulatively self-deprecating and yet is so fucking self-deprecating throughout the whole chapter about his choice of words and about coming off cringy and insincere. How he pretends his being meta about the whole process of being meta is not open manipulation of the reader a begging for being liked. How this whole thing is completely retarded because the first few stories aren't nearly enough to make the reader even interested in his thought process or why he failed finishing the piece and how he feels about it. And how the whole fucking last "story" he pretends he's completely open and naked and sincere and how he's going to directly ask the reader and still DOESN'T HAVE THE FUCKING BALLS TO DO IT AND RATHER MAKES YOU PRETEND YOU'RE THE WRITER AND THAT YOU'RE ABOUT TO ADDRESS THE READER DIRECTLY AND THAT IT'S NOT ENTIRELY HE WHO SHAT THE BED LITERARY SPEAKING.

Jesus christ how did this piece of shit ever get published?
>>
>>7683188
pleb
>>
>>7683188
If it pissed you off that much it did its job perfectly.
>>
>>7683188

i thought it was banal and platitudinous
>>
>>7683210
And how is that exactly?
>>
>>7683234
The whole theme of the collection is disgustingly frustrating people, it's in the title.
>>
>>7683363
>The whole theme of the collection is disgustingly frustrating people, it's in the title.
You're entirely wrong.
>>
>>7683188
Read the Depressed Person and then read it again. You kinda misunderstood it. Examine the connections between the parts.
>>
>>7684835
They may have misunderstood it, but that doesn't necessarily justify this sort of writing.

Vicious self-inducing cycles of any given personality fault can be presented poorly.
>>
>>7684955
Reproducing vicious cycles of thought in writing is probably only enjoyable to those suffering from it.
>>
>>7683188
It's a short story collection. You can't judge a collection based on one story of the whole.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.