[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child To Be Published As A Book on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: Harry-Potter-Cursed-Child.jpg (83 KB, 850x452) Image search: [Google]
Harry-Potter-Cursed-Child.jpg
83 KB, 850x452
http://theprimeversion.com/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-to-be-published-as-a-book-on-july-31st/
>>
>>7682963
good news! thanks
>>
The biggest book series of all time is back

Where the sticky!!!!!
>>
>>7682963

So who's the new villain going to be?
>>
>>7683006
ron
>>
>this thread and replies

Is the rumor that we are invaded by casuals true or it's just elaborate memeing?
>>
>>7682963
>Babby's first fantasy book

>Mom bought me a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone at the height of it's popularity

>"Why don't you read this, anon? They say it's really good and all the other kids love it!"

>Read the first few chapters

>Boring, poorly written, lowest common denominator fucking trash I had come across in quite a while

>Toss it under my bed and forget about it

Never again. Fuck you casual kiddies that slurp up this fucking trash.
>>
>>7683048
>>7683038
who cares dude its just books
>>
>>7683074
Yeah, really, really, REALLY shitty books that have no right to be as popular as they are.
>>
>>7683038
Yes. The quality of /lit/ has declined since /his/ was made so sharply it's painful. Most of the old guard have re-set up camp there because of the humanities discussion, and it has more classic /lit/ memes than /lit/ itself.

/his/ also cannibalized the history discussions from /int/ and the few remaining intelligent parts from /pol/. It's a wonderful board, but the cost was so high.
>>
>>7682963
So the fact that Rowling has returned to Potterfaggotry means she's failed and given up at real literature, right?
>>
>>7683119
Once a pleb, always a pleb.
>>
>Though it is being released in screenplay form instead of a novelization version
This should have been the first line. Even if I weren't on /lit/ I'd say to trash this.
>>
>>7683118
>It's a wonderful board, but the cost was so high
True. I used to be a mainboard /lit/izen and left once /his/ was established. Just came back after not visiting /lit/ for a few months. It has changed a lot. For the worse, that is.
>>
This is dumb. The weakest part of the story was the epilogue. There are much more interesting parts that could have been explored. Marauders, DubledorexGrindelwald, founders of Hogwarts, Drumstrang, adventures of Luna
>>
>>7682963
>it's a play
>not written by Rowling
Fuck it
>>
>>7682963
What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>7683326
>not written by Rowling

this can only be an improvement
>>
>>7683341
this critique is so facetious that it's no wonder bloom would be patron saint for such a stupid board.
>>
>>7683355
it's brilliant and ought to be posted every time this non-literature is accidentally posted on this board
>>
File: Spots_first_walk.jpg (47 KB, 485x500) Image search: [Google]
Spots_first_walk.jpg
47 KB, 485x500
>>7683341
I look forward to your review of Spot the Dog
>>
>>7683038

Yes, but also a lot of people are able to finally talk about their shitty book so they do so without any kind of repercussions. It's pretty sad.
>>
>>7683111
>No right.
>Believeing in rights.

Bwhaahahhaha
>>
Does this really count as an 8th book, or is it just like a semi-canon extended universe thing?
>>
>>7684110
How is that a response? He's saying you're a stupid fat fucking baby, in case you missed it. Are you saying that only reddit would miss your genius, your keenness of insight?

>>7684122
JK Rowling and the Quest for Relevance
>>
File: hermionie.jpg (41 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
hermionie.jpg
41 KB, 768x433
Hermionie ends up looking like this by the end of the book.
>>
>>7684426
That's for a play and this "book" is actually just a script for that play in book form
>>
File: 1316324817879.jpg (5 KB, 217x172) Image search: [Google]
1316324817879.jpg
5 KB, 217x172
I can't really understand why people would choose to read 7 fucking books of Harry Potter, I mean what the fuck is wrong with people its not even entertaining
>>
>>7684544
Probably because they read them in elementary school.
>>7684535
It says in the article they're not releasing a novelization, they're releasing a screenplay.
>>
>>7684544
It was entertaining when I was 14 for sure. The thing that gets me is I know so, so many people in their mid twenties who consider the Harry Potter books their all-time favourites. Like even when I was that age it wasn't even my favourite YA series about magic.
>>
>>7684617
I tried to reread some Harry Potter recently when I saw a book lying around and the shit is unreadable. It's seriously terrible. And I loved it as a kid as well.
>>
>>7683048
Holy autism.
>>
>>7684544
>>7684617

The first four or five books were pretty entertaining when I was a kid

They were pretty much the only books outside of elementary school assigned reading that kids could to to each other about. Nobody really read for fun unless it was harry potter, and that trend basically continued and carried into my adult life.

I'm not saying it's good but that's my anecdotal explanation
>>
>>7683048
I'll take "things that never happened" for 300, Alex

Jesus Christ, you absolute autist
>>
>>7683048
Why does this make tasteless potter drones so insecure?
>>
>>7683485
some drunk macho think, like everything wrote by Hemingway.
>>
>>7683118
It is painfully clear that no one on /his/ has any formal education in history. Whoever would leave /lit/ because they thought /his/ is better has something wrong with them.
>>
>>7682963
I was excited, until I realized this is just gonna be a basic broadway-to-book thing. They will market it as an 8th Potter book but it's just a group effort to adapt a play into a (assuredly short) novel
>>
>>7682963
i'd care about as much if the goofy potter musical were getting a book. that is to say, not much at all
>>
>>7683341
>My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
That's cancerous PC culture infesting our schools. Nobody thinks that kind of shit should be allowed except college kiddies
>>
>>7682963
This will be faust if our times
>>
"OMG OMG OMG OMG THERE WILL BE 8TH HARRY POTTER !!!!!!! IM GOING TO TO SEE DA MUSICAL, BUY THE BOOK AND WAIT FOR DA MOVIE!!!!"

i rather that kids will drink alcohol and smoke cigs then read this bullshit and think they are deep and high culture...
>>
>>7683119
She wrote that book "for adults" which flopped really, really hard. I hadn't heard a peep from Potterfans until Pottermore and then after that, nothing. After the books finished there were like 3 hit broadway shows centered around it
>>
>>7683038
>>7683048
wow, /lit/ sounds just like /v/ now.
>>
File: CuckoosCallingCover.jpg (27 KB, 288x442) Image search: [Google]
CuckoosCallingCover.jpg
27 KB, 288x442
>>7686572
How about this one ?
>>
>>7682963
can anyone explain why every single play is now a broadway hit

or "the #1 musical hit"

seriously every single show is "the #1" or "the hit show" like nothing is ever NOT a hit on broadway
>>
>>7686702
Marketing 101 m8
>>
>>7683048

I actually tried to read this book after checking it out from the library. I was 11 or 12, I think? Close to there and the preferred audience of it. Couldn't even make it past the first chapter. Went back and reread The Hobbit.
>>
>>7687206
>>7683048
Who knew that /lit/ was already insufferable autists by the age of 11?
>>
>>7687220

Man, people actually have standards. Crazy stuff, huh?
>>
>>7687220
is autistic the new schizophrenia on 4chan now? do people really think it's something to be ashamed of?
>>
>>7687259
>smearing shit on the wall and then wondering why people are mad at you is good
>>
>>7687259
Autistic has replaced every other mental illness on 4chan for years now.

>I have a strong opinion on this!
AUTISM

>I don't feel strongly about this.
AUTISM

>I don't care about this at all
AUTISM

>I know a lot about this subject I'm passionate about!
AUTISM

>I'm a fan of this obscure author/genre
AUTISM

>I read/game/watch tv and films a lot
AUTISM

>I think I'm better than you
AUTISM

>I think I'm not as good as you
AUTISM

it just goes on, but you get the idea.
>>
>>7686659
Except /v/ is pleb enough to still enjoy HP
>>
>>7687276
Interesting, considering many in the spectrum don't give a shit about their outward reputation. It's not like it's an effective strategy. Been hanging round /x/ too long where it's always schizophrenia, and that stops people, cause maybe they are being delusional. autistic doesn't care that we care too much or are too passionate. that's our good traits.

>>7687275
what autistics have you met? Texture issues, no autistic would do that. MR maybe.
>>
>>7687429
>what autistics have you met?
You've obviously never seen a full blown autist. One of my classrooms at high school was next to the 'special learning center', my god I've seen some some shit
>>
>>7686572
>She wrote that book "for adults" which flopped really, really hard.
Do you mean The Casual Vacancy? That book was a commercial success and the reviews were fairly good if not exceptional. Since then she's written three detective novels in her Cormoran Strike series which have been generally well-received.
>>
>>7687440
In a school setting, it is illegal for anyone to tell you the diagnosis of a child. So you don't know what they had. There are thousands of diagnosis in the DSMV
>>
>>7687484
well shit, didn't know that. I opened Casual Vacancy. It read like a manual on how to write your first contemporary novel. Everything was perfect but no soul
>>
>>7687487
I couldn't get into that book at all but I've found her detective novels pretty entertaining to be honest. Her prose is fairly mediocre but the characters are well-drawn and she has a real talent for mystery plotting (something I always thought stood out in the early HP novels, actually). They're worth checking out if you're looking for some light reading to keep you entertained for a few days or so.
>>
>>7687504
I hated the mystery plotting in HP. I mean she didn't royally screw up, but the red herrings were so annoying and so many dropped subplots and strings of info that never resolved into anything. Red herrings for the sake of having one, instead of organic from what happens in life or organic to other pieces of the story. It's no agatha christie, let say that. But maybe she was able to keep it straight in a shorter novel?
>>
Harry potter? More like harry piece of dogshit
>>
>>7684846
>>7685319
>>7686659
>>7687220

>Butthurt potter babbies detected

Fuck you and your pop lit kiddie garbage.
>>
>>7687485
>>7687429
Autist
>>
>>7683341
I love Bloom
>>
>>7683118
There's tonnes of discussion about history on /tg/.

It's all about the actual history, though, rather than historiography/causation/&c. I.e. it's about swords and wars, rather than anything more humanities related. It's also only about the actually interesting bits with Mongols rather than panzers, so if you're a Wehraboo you'll probably find it boring.
>>
>>7683341
I've always loved this pasta, because my existence is enough to prove it wrong. I did start with Harry Potter. It did get me into literature.
>>
File: EVZEZKK.jpg (53 KB, 361x407) Image search: [Google]
EVZEZKK.jpg
53 KB, 361x407
>>7682963
>be me
>love Harry Potter
>literally the only books I read outside of school until I got into literature at 16
>stayed up the til midnight for my 11th birthday hoping I got a letter from Hogwarts
>never read the books again after the 7th one came out.

I am embarrassed that there are adults excited for this. I have absolutely no desire to read this. I liked Harry Potter... when I was a child. It's a children's book.
>>
Eh, Harry Potter was certainly around when I was growing up and some of the movies were good. Not spending stupid money on an extortionate play (two fucking parts, really?) but I'm happy to read the script - as someone who's worked in theatre/on stage I'm excited to envision my own version.
>>
>>7683006
Racism.

>>7683341
Top kek
>>
>>7683341
I've never actually paid attention to the substance of his criticism and now I see that there is none, if Kipling is an author to whom to aspire.
>>
>>7682963
Wonder how many people will be butthurt once they realize that it's not HP 8.

>>7683048
>bitches about a book he never read with maximum autism

>>7683341
>I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."
The insecurity is real.

>>7686572
She got mostly positive reviews for her adult novels.

>>7687553
Could you name any examples? Considering that these are books for children, the only issue with plotting seem to be the deus ex machinas.
>>
>>7690644
Kipling and Carroll are infinitely better than Rowling brah.
>>
>>7687206
Jokes on you. I was reading Joyce at 10.
>>
>>7684544
The thing about Potter is you were 8 when you read the first one.
>>
>>7683006
Cis het whitey
>>
>>7689208
Same, m8. That and Goosebumps. But I'm not gonna lie, I still listen to the HP audiobooks for nostalgia.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.