[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just purchased pic-related. How the fuck do I pronounce his name?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Paris-Spleen.jpg (29 KB, 308x499) Image search: [Google]
Paris-Spleen.jpg
29 KB, 308x499
I just purchased pic-related.

How the fuck do I pronounce his name?
>>
>>7682215
Bo-de-leh-r
>>
>>7682223
Sorry, actually bodleh-r
>>
so apparently he spoke english. i wonder how well he spoke it, if he had a heavy accent, etc.
>>
>>7682215
beau-de-lai-re

i'm french.
>>
[ʃaʁl bodlɛʁ]
>>
>>7682215
BOH-DE-LAIR
>>
Bo-Diddley
>>
>>7682215
did you actually intend to read this? I always used to get his name confused with Baudrillard and endedu p accidentally reading some shitty poetry.
>>
>>7682301
you are embarrassing yourself
>>
For english speakers,

Bah - duh - lair
>>
>>7682215
pair-is Spleen
>>
>>7682215
Are you a 16 years old girl? Are we in 2005 all over again?
Literally entry level emo shit tier.
Go read some Bukowski if you wanna feel edgy.
>>
But I thought forget it, yo holmes, it's BaudLAIR
>>
>>7682301
>>7682490
The plebbest of pleb fucks.
>>
>>7682490
>Literally entry level emo shit tier.

lol no
>>
>>7682562
Shut the fuck up. My first gf used to read this shit when we were teens and listened unironically to Nirvana. Now she's studying in France...
Holy shit I passed up the most literary qt. Oh well, she's still into me, and when she comes around here I'll cuck his French bf ;)
>>
>>7682562
>>7682579
Oh, I forgot you were Americans. You think this pleb shit book sold literally in any major bookstore chain is high art. Topkek. Americucks are truly delusional. If you go to a French qt and say you like this trash they'll laugh in your face.
>>
>>7682240
Pretty well considering he translated most of Poe's works. His translation is still used today.
>>
File: 1369845608681.jpg (219 KB, 973x546) Image search: [Google]
1369845608681.jpg
219 KB, 973x546
>>7682601
This is you.
Which is pretty funny actually since the book he's talking about is Le Fleurs du Mal.
>>
>>7682729
>Ameritard pleb thinking liking Baudrillard is edgy because of mango
>The mango in question is actually based tho

Why do they even try?
>>
File: 1366268947303.jpg (9 KB, 202x250) Image search: [Google]
1366268947303.jpg
9 KB, 202x250
>>7682601
>>7682729

If you don't know anything about the impact of Baudelaire's writing on French and European literature, you should refrain from making stupid comment.

No one cares about Baudelaire's "edgy" themes; his writings marked the end of romanticism and the start of the modern(ist) era, dealing with topics such as the industrial city, the place of the poet, travels, prostitution, painting, etc. If you had read Baudelaire at all, you would know that he actually considers drugs to be a mediocre substitute of art.

The reason Poe is known at all nowadays is because of Baudelaire's translation; Rimbaud considered him a god, T.S. Eliot's poems are ridden with Baudelaire's images, even Proust thought of him as a role model.

His poems pushed the 12-syllable alexandrine verse much further than Hugo. There is a reason why he is the last alexandrine poet: he broke it and introduced all his successors (Rimbaud, Verlaine, Mallarmé, Valéry, and the surrealists) to a world of freedom and anguish. The musicality of his verses are on-par with Flaubert's prose; he managed to use old forms (e.g. pantoum) to perfection and further, breaking them apart. Also, he invented (reinvented) free verse.

Along with Hugo and Verlaine, Baudelaire is nowadays one of the most celebrated poets in France.
>>
>>7682215
baodilär
>>
>>7682215
or rather, bödilär
>>
>>7682601

>he doesnt know about fin de siecle decadence / symbolism and just reads him as any other poet
>>
>>7682767
I'm not american and that's not what I said.
>>7682781
I didn't criticize Baudelaire, though.
>>
>>7682601
Kek so this is what a third rate uni does to the mind, fucking eurocucks
>>
>>7682215
BÅ-DE-LÄR
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.