[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made you stop targeting a yearly book count (be it on goodreads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
What made you stop targeting a yearly book count (be it on goodreads or otherwise)?

Having a yearly "time read" target seems much more rewarding if you really need to push yourself to read (all of us can be ill disciplined in some points of our lives, especially you early 20 somethings just getting into the grind, struggling to make time for your hobbies, this must be the first time you've actually had to choose between reading and unwinding with a good show/movie/video/othereasyformofrelaxation? I'm assuming the ones who aren't in the grind and have jobs they enjoy (involving reading, since I presume the ideal job for anyone here would be "literary") are the kind who have already mastered the art of choosing between rewarding but initially repulsive activities and less rewarding but initially compelling activities).

Pic related.
>>
>tfw gotten into a habit of adding books as "read" on goodreads even if I haven't finished them
>tfw hoping a patrician qt will message me on there
>tfw can't even remember anything about the last ten or so books I've read
>tfw I'm reading every other chapter of Infinite Jest at the moment and will probably just read a detailed summary of the plot and mark as read before finishing
>>
Never started
>>
Don't (type(like(this)
>>
I read when I want as much as I want. If I force myself to do it it will feel like work and I won't enjoy it.
I don't find setting goals as rewarding as most people seem to.
>>
>>7682000
I still keep goals.

I never feel pressured, or feel that it hinders how much I read. I include books I read during work and research too.

I've always picked books over TV/movies, and am in my late 20s now.

Never seen any good reason to stop. It's just something fun to track in the background.
>>
>>7682000
I didnt stop. I track my goals in life. Fitness, books read, money saved. If I dont do this what happens is I revert to being a WoW neet and I hate that shit. So I limit the negative and track the positive.

Also I dont set my goal high, I set it to a reasonable 52 books a year, and usually hit 70-80, and no I dont stuff the list with 90 page novellas for e-peen.
>>
A have a daily 1-2 hour reading goal and a yearly 60 book goal.
Never felt pressured, just something that makes me feel nice at the end of the year
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.