[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never been to this board, and I have a feeling that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: Sapowski-LastWish_FB_rev.jpg.jpg (157 KB, 470x246) Image search: [Google]
Sapowski-LastWish_FB_rev.jpg.jpg
157 KB, 470x246
I've never been to this board, and I have a feeling that asking about Audio Books might trigger some people.

But I want to go on a long walk because I have a general depressed feeling and want to get some endorphins flowing. I also dont want to be left alone to my own thoughts so I want an audio book to keep me company on this walk.

I've spent my entire life (only 21 y/o) reading high fantasy and some more abstract stuff like Lovecraft. But I want to finally try "reading" a book that is 100% grounded in reality, and may even teach me a thing or two I didn't know, while entertaining me.

I think what I want is a good Crime and/or Detective novel.

Let me get to the gist of it
TL:DR What are the best Crime/Detective novels ever written, and which would be the best to accompany a fat dumby having an existential crisis while he goes on a long midnight stroll?

(pic related: its the last few books I've read, and god dammit, I'm pretty tired of getting invested in fantasy worlds that provide me with information that is in no way relevant to my real life)
>>
bump?
>>
File: bait.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
26 KB, 527x409
Also, sorry ahead of time, I really genuinely have no idea what the "board culture" is here. Sorry if I "trigger" anybody by going against the norms. I promise this is in no way bait.
>>
p-pls
>>
File: 1408778345716s.jpg (3 KB, 118x125) Image search: [Google]
1408778345716s.jpg
3 KB, 118x125
>>7681461
The Black Dahlia is a personal favorite but not sure about an audiobook.
Also take in consideration that this is one of the slowest boards of 4chan.
>>
>>7681485
Ya that kind of doesn't surprise me unfortunately :/ I'll wait around a bit.
I'll check out the Black Dahlia. Didn't they make a movie about it? Gruesome butcherings of women and what not right? I was thinking something SLIGHTLY more innocent in tone because of my mood haha. But hey, as long as it's great, I'll check it out.
>>
File: 1449627917985.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449627917985.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>7681461
>teach me a thing or two
>what I want is a good crime and/or detective novel
>>
>>7681461
Not even memeing here, but fuck that detective shit and start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7681501
Wut. I'm guessing you're the kind of guy who thinks you're "learning" when you read a story that has a morally gray conflict.
I've been reading stories that deal with abstract concepts like existentialism and morality for my entire life, through allegory. Literally sick of it.
The point is to read/listen to a book grounded in the real world, where, while enjoying the story, they may go over a real world subject or two and I may learn something from it. Not even intentional education of any sort. My point is I want to read a book where I'm not learning about the many descendents and ancestors of random fucking kings in completely fictional settings. Fuck getting immersed in all these Song of Ice and Fire type settings. I'm tired of them. I want something set in my world, where if they start delving into a topic, the information could actually intrigue me in some way other than "hurrrr, whered he get that sword tho?"
>>
Dashell Hammet books
The NY trilogy
>>
>>7681509
Okay I'm interested. Any tips on a good one?
I'm not 100% stuck to this Detective idea, I'm down for any story grounded in our world.
>>
File: 1452400742259.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452400742259.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>7681514
>learning
>stories
Just read Lolita and learn how to appreciate prose you dunce.
>>
>>7681515
>The NY trilogy
I have no idea if the audiobook is good, or if there even is one, but this.
>>
>>7681523
>>7681515
I read a short description of the NY trilogy and I think I'm sold. Thanks guys.
>>
>>7681509
You actually are memeing extremely hard
>>
>>7681550
/lit/ memes are ones to live by though. by not starting with the greeks OP will remain a pleb forever.
>>
>>7681552
This guy's right though. How the fuck are detective novels gonna get him in a better state of mind.

>>7681461
I recently listened to Self-Reliance by Emerson walking my dog in the woods. It' short so if you don't like it you didn't invest much. It's more of an essay, but it's practical to you situation.
>>
>>7681461
It looks like you've found your recommendation, but I'll still put in the obligatory recommendation for Crime and Punishment. You almost seem to be describing it in the OP.
>>
>>7681576
>Self-Reliance
This is what I need in my life. Going to give this a chance. Thank you.

>>7681583
Will look into. Have definitely heard it referenced before.
>>
File: 1451556371059.jpg (51 KB, 368x425) Image search: [Google]
1451556371059.jpg
51 KB, 368x425
>>7681629

Look how far we've come lads. This is who we'd be if we didn't read.
>>
>>7681461
http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Genre_fiction

It's even the first thing you see when you come in here wew.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.