[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Bukowski?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 5368-charles-bukowski.jpg (77 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
5368-charles-bukowski.jpg
77 KB, 402x402
Thoughts on Bukowski?
>>
Those marks on his face, they resemble the man's character--a mixture of bitter resignation and love of one's fate. Drunken braggart, brute, he has inspired me to have sympathy for myself especially when I am at my worst. His sensitivity was drawn directly from abuse, his meat was tenderized. An eye on what is in fact, true of America. He was a lover of culture, but not its servant. His success was extremely unlikely, and ultimately undeniable. He outlived his more prestigious contemporaries, in more ways than one. Who would argue that his poems are not more relevant than, for instance, those of Ginsberg? Yet Ginsberg had his day and in those days, I imagine Bukowski was much like you or me, racked with doubt by and by of our own value, our own right to exist. I don't know if you could even call it heroic, maybe it is even cowardly how he persisted, and yet...watch the way his writing progresses from the first to last; it is marvelous to witness a man unfolding in letters like he did. When I needed one, he was my greatest friends. From my own life I remember a night, when my little brother (now dead) and I had gotten blind drunk, began shoplifting books at the Barnes and Noble, and when we were away I gave him a copy of "Love is a Dog from Hell"...he slapped it out of my hands and said Bukowski is boring! This was only because my brother looked to me for guidance and I think was confused by more lasting allegiance to a writer who was, if nothing else, consistent. And so it is today, with peers on /lit/ or elsewhere, who have moved on to the greener grass...and yet there is no shame in honoring the great. So my thoughts are, basically, like the thoughts I have of a dead brother---marvelous and warm, heart-wrenching. There are very few writers who have become a part of my life like that.
>>
who the fuck keeps posting this shit? there's a bukowski thread like every other day now. fuck off already
>>
>>7681411
He's very popular with young males who have just started to get into reading and so don't know any better. There's obviously many of them here.
>>
>>7681411
I wish they were that scarce. More like 3 a day.
>>
>>7681131
this fella looks like the dirty hobo from that scene in Mulholland Drive haha
>>
more talented than any of his haters
>>
>>7681494
18 or house wife?
>>
>>7681421
can you recommend me someone who does dirty realism better?
>>
trash
>>
File: I don't..png (223 KB, 471x278) Image search: [Google]
I don't..png
223 KB, 471x278
>>
>>7681131
YOU CANNOT BE A ROBOT IF YOU HAVE NOT ACNE
>>
>>7681131
Hack
>>
On a scale from John Green to James Joyce I'd say he's about a Charles Bukowski
>>
Edgy Paulo Coelho
>>
>>7681131
But some of his poetry is decent.
>>
File: 1438179223628.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1438179223628.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>7682129
>>
>>7682143
>he doesn't know the meaning of ''some''
If you think none of it is decent, you're an uneducated pleb.
>>
File: image.png (143 KB, 463x266) Image search: [Google]
image.png
143 KB, 463x266
>>
File: Vlad_the_Inhaler.jpg (30 KB, 300x567) Image search: [Google]
Vlad_the_Inhaler.jpg
30 KB, 300x567
>>7681131
/lit/ hates him
i love him
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 550x711) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 550x711
>>
meme
>>
popular with the male homosexualist
>>
>>7681499
Can someone answer this? I'm curious to see it done well.
>>
>>7682474
This guy is like the male equivalent of the lesbian, man-hating SJW
>>
>>7683226
Read some of his poetry and I think you might 180 on that opinion.
>>
>>7683226
He liked to think of himself as a super-macho, downtrodden, tough-guy, hero, even though he was just a little depressed weirdo.
>>
>>7684103
So he thought of himself as a man.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.