[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy Genre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: jrrtolkin_boxed.jpg (77 KB, 533x672) Image search: [Google]
jrrtolkin_boxed.jpg
77 KB, 533x672
Hey /lit/ I'm a crazy fanatic when it comes to fantasy books and I just finished the entire Middle Earth Trilogy books
>The Simarillion
>The Hobbit
>Fellowship of the Ring
>The Two Towers
>Return of the King
>Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle Earth
To any fantasy readers out there, what kind of book do you recommend for me. I'm basically looking for thick storyline along with lore. Any help will be appreciated.
>>
File: 225px-Tales_Before_Tolkien.jpg (46 KB, 225x370) Image search: [Google]
225px-Tales_Before_Tolkien.jpg
46 KB, 225x370
>>
>>7681122
Some of my favorite:

Brandon Sanderson's Series:
Mistborn [~6 books can't remember exactly]
Stormlight Archive [only 2 books so far but going to end up ~10 total]
Elantris [2 books]

Other Authors:

Malazan Book of the Fallen [10 books]
The Black Company [9 shorter books]
The First Law Series [3 books]
Game of Thrones [5 books so far]
Wheel of Time [14 books]
>>
Fantasy is for plebeian shits
>>
>>7681164
You must have a poor sense of imagination if you dislike fantasy books.
>>
>>7681170
Fuck off faggot, fantasy is idiotic. You might as well be watching cartoons or anime
>>
The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm - Nancy Farmer
>>
>>7681198
Already cursing at me after the first insult? Jesus christ you get so butthurt easily.
>>
Read Bakker. Dude has an appendix for the "genealogy" of the languages in his books. His lore is dense and it even has sci fi elements.
>>
>>7681122
The Black Company and Mistborn are both awesome.
Especially the Black Company, I remember vividly in one chapter that Croaker (the main character) dreamed about banging 2 12 year old girls.
>>
9 replies with no Book of the New Sun? this board has truly gone to shit
>>
>>7681349
I'd say the board is improving if we're focusing less on this genre fiction bullshit
>>
>>7681349
BOTNS is straight up sci-fi
>>
>>7681371
do you even understand what this thread is about?
>>
>>7681393
pleb shit
>>
>>7681122
How good is this edition? I like it.
>>
>>7681244
>dreamed
Trash
>>
>>7681122
I've always loved The Spooks. Great books. Give them a read anon.
>>
>>7681198
>>7681170
>>7681164
There's nothing inherently wrong with fantasy but most of it is very bad. Read Book of the New Sun for some fantasy that holds its own in a totally literary context.
>>
greek mythology
>>
>>7681160
You fucking pleb just leave with you commercial trash fantasy recommendations. Sff generals became a fucking metastasized cancer.
>>7681122
As far quality fantasy goes
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series
Amber Chronicle
Book of the New Sun
The Wizard Knight
Latro in the Mist
Lord of Light
Elric series
Ghormengast series
>>
>>7681718
this goy knows his shit. Elric isn't really literature, but it's imaginatively brilliant.

also maybe Little, Big is worth checking out. I saw iit in another thread and Harold Bloom was sucking its dick.
>>
>>7681911
Elric is the perfect entertainment novel.
>>
>>7681122

Although I haven't read enough fantasy to give any worthwhile recommendations, I can at least point out that you missed Children of Hurin. Also, if none of the other books suggested here interest you, I think you should consider trying out some epic poetry as most of fantasy is based on it in some form. Thick storylines and lore go hand and hand with them practically by definition.
>>
My personal favorites.

George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Series
Raymond E. Feist - The Riftwar Cycle
David Eddings - The Belgariad
>>
>>7681349
That is scifi
>>
>>7681402
Just mad. Go to another thread.
>>
>>7681170
99% of the fantasy mentioned ITT is unimaginative garbage. There's good fantasy, but it's not the kind fo stupid adventure novels that you see people who only read fantasy books reading
>>
>>7682102
BOTNS aesthetically taps into both sci-fi and fantasy, but first and foremost it is literature. Its various genre influences are aesthetic tendencies rather than thematic limitations. Calling it sf is reductive and implies artistic association with a largely commercial, creatively dead tradition. BOTNS is sci-fi in the same way as Fictiones is magical realism or Moby Dick is a nautical novel. It works with inherited sets of tropes but incorporates them into a broader literary statement.

Harold Bloom famouisly said Blood Meridian was the Western genre's aesthetic peak, and I think any truly analytical critic would come to a similar conclusion about BOTNS.
>>
>>7681198
>You might as well be watching cartoons or anime
Implying all reading isn't just a time sink, even "literature"
>>
>>7682286
Keep telling that to yourself, plen
>>
>>7682293
I don't read fantasy, it's just how I feel (most of the time). But when I come across some outstanding literature, I see the difference and feel bad that many readers won't get to experience it because they stick to fantasy. Hell, even sci-fi has some great original thought.
>>
>>7681164
>Implying something along the lines of Alice In Wonderland isn't fucking fantastic and always a fun little read.

You are one poor, dull son of a bitch, anon.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.