[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of this book? Is it actually anti-racist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: huck-cover2.jpg (362 KB, 450x646) Image search: [Google]
huck-cover2.jpg
362 KB, 450x646
What does /lit/ think of this book? Is it actually anti-racist?
>>
>written by a straight cis white male
>anti racist
Surely you infinite jest :{D
>>
Extraordinarily pro-human.

Don't know much of what to say about racism.
>>
>>7679859
it's as anti racist as a book in the 1800's could have been
>>
I'm not sure what this post is looking for.

>Is it actually anti-racist?
It isn't first and foremost concerned with the subject of race, but having read it, I don't know how anyone could consider it racist.
Is it anti-racist? Now what does that even mean?
In a way, it's anti-everything. It's anti South, anti Christian, anti rich, anti poor, anti racists - it's a cheeky satire of American culture.

For what it's worth, I don't see Twain as a racist. How's that?
>>
>>7679881
>Mark Twain
>straight
>>
>>7679897
twain was white
>>
best to play it safe and just read Ta-Nehisi Coates instead
>>
What the fuck does it matter if it's racist or anti racist? It's a good book
>>
>>7680344
first decent opinion in the threat tbqh fampai
>>
>>7679859
>you will never live on a raft with the King and the Duke and scam various hillbilliy towns near the river

why even live?
>>
Are this and Tom Sawyer good? I've read good things about Twain here, but is he on par with Melville or Hawthorne as a novelist?
>>
>>7680448
yes, they're good
>>
I was surprised to discover that Nietzsche enjoyed Twain's work.
>>
>>7680448
He's no Melville.

Somewhere between RL Stevenson and Kurt Vonnegut. Mark Twain is more decidedly a kids' adventure novel, Huck Finn is more 'literary' and the easy better of the two.

I enjoy both. Very quick reads, if you've even a curiosity I'd reccomend them.
>>
>>7680461
why?
>>
>>7680466
>Mark Twain
fuck, I mean Tom Sawyer, you know
>>
>>7680466

It's just that I have the possibility of gettint either Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in Norton editions, OR Le Morte Darthur in a similar edition.

wat do
>>
>>7680476
get tom + huck from the library buy the other thing
>>
>>7680467
Just didn't expect him to read that kind of stuff. I later found out he had a hard on for American Lit in general though.
>>
>>7679859
It's obviously a work intended to satirize the political and moral landscape of the time, you swine!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.