[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creative Writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: writing-monkey.jpg (42 KB, 520x344) Image search: [Google]
writing-monkey.jpg
42 KB, 520x344
There is a master of Creative writing on mi city... I am thinking about taking it, but at the same time I feel stupid for doing it... What do you think about Creative writing, anons?
>>
Are there any recommended free online creative writing courses?
>>
That's like getting a masters to try and play the piano. Sure someone can teach you to do it but it's something you can EASILY learn on your own. As with every other skill all you gotta do is learn the basics and then practice. In this case what I'm saying is go fucking write something to the best of your ability. It will probably be shit. Bring it to /lit/ for critique and listen to the people who actually take you seriously. Repeat.

Question is, do you read often? If not go read a book goddamn. How could one write music if they'd never heard any before?
>>
>>7679273
Well, my bachelor degree is on literature. I dropped it a while ago, I had some issues about what it meant to study literature... then I just went back to finish it.
The point is, I actually think the same as you, but I also think publishing is more about social skills than writing abilities... I am pretty biased since I left my work on a publishing house and reality fucked my little pampered ego.
>>
>>7679303
You'd make a bunch of contacts in the masters program
>>
>>7679322
Well, that's true.
>>
>>7679191
I'm applying to MFA's right now. My serious advice is, unless you've got money to throw away, never pay for these things. If your writing is any good, you can get into one of the fully funded programs (check them out here http://www.pw.org/files/topfifty_secured.pdf). And if you're not good enough to get into one of those, then you have no business paying for such a program.

There's two types of MFA's: the cash-cows and the serious ones. Columbia is a cash-cow program, they accept maybe 100 students per year, most of whom pay really good money to hear a Nobel Prize once or twice a year spouting some bullshit on craft. Iowa, on the other hand, accepts about the same ammount of students, only they give ALL of them a tuition waiver and a stipend.

I met a girl who got her MFA from Columbia. She can't write for shit, and in the 4 years since she graduated, she's published one story in a sub-par online magazine.

Do some research, put in the required effort and go through the application process this year. But don't, I'd suggest, throw your money away on a worthless degree.

Just my $0.02.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.