[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A book with spacetravel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: science-fiction.jpg (152 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
science-fiction.jpg
152 KB, 1024x768
Hello /lit/, im in need of a book/novel/shortstory/movie.

To be specific, i need it to have some sort of spacetravel (further a few lightyears).

I'm writing my exam paper on the special theory of relativity. The weird rules of the school have decided that i need some sort of literature mix'ed into my paper. Therefore i would like to talk about the impossibility of spacetravel to a far away object with modern technology, while analysing the novel from a english literature point of view.

The Star Wars could work, but since i've never been a big fan of the SW series, it would be a pain to work through a book/movie.

Thank you
>>
File: vLSwCSB.jpg (9 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
vLSwCSB.jpg
9 KB, 224x225
i got dubs
>>
Asimov's Foundation.
>>
>>7678881
You might like Blindsight by Peter Watts.
>>
Epic of gilgamesh
>>
>>7678881
>>7678897
Sounds interesting. But im afraid this isnt what i can use with the maximum speed of light
>>7678908
Ill check it out thanks
>>7678892
Which one?
>>
Tau Zero?
>>
Hyperion deals with relativity a good deal and is also actually a great book.

Ender's Game isn't as great but also includes it, and is shorter/easier to get into.
>>
"Wobbler writes a computer game entitled Journey to Alpha Centauri. The game is meant to be played in real-time, meaning it would take three thousand years to finish the journey. If the game were actually played for three thousand years, the player would be rewarded with a message saying "Welcome to Alpha Centauri. Now go home". This inspired an interactive fiction game, Journey to Alpha Centauri (In Real Time)."

(Wikipedia summary of an incident in 'Only You Can Save Mankind', a YA book by Terry Pratchett).

>In b4 you Patricians flame the hell out of me for Pratchett/YA related offences.
>In b4 of course it's probably too thin/pleb tier for OP's purposes, but it was a pretty amusing and realistic digression on the limitations of modern space travel, in stark contrast with most sci-fi, which basically needs to ignore/supersede Einstein in the interests of actually having a workable plot.
>>
>>7678881
you want the protector by larry niven.
he even uses special relativity to create a gravity lens to use as a telescope.
>>
>>7678881
Dune
>>
Thanks
>>
File: oim8.png (218 KB, 333x476) Image search: [Google]
oim8.png
218 KB, 333x476
>>7678908
this
>>
>>7679052
This.
and
>>7679126
this too >>7679000
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.