[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to do if you write yourself into a corner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: unfinshed-ebooks.jpg (47 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
unfinshed-ebooks.jpg
47 KB, 507x338
What to do if you write yourself into a corner?
>>
>>7678808

Write yourself out of it. Duh.

Or just leave it unfinished and say it's open to interpretation or something.
>>
Kill off protagonist and switch the main POV.
Guess it depends on what kind of corner you wrote yourself into.
>>
>>7678808
I usually refer back to my notes/outline/planning and see which direction I intended to take it and probably take a few steps back in my writing to help achieve that.

Or if the new direction I'm going in is better than my outline (imo) then I'll have to reconsider the outline and consider the possibilities the new direction might take me in.

If your planning/notes are thorough though, you shouldn't necessarily be stuck in a corner or caught off guard by writer's block or anything like that (of course, it might still happen, but a thorough outline is half of the hardest job in writing).
>>
File: 1364656875046.jpg (8 KB, 168x192) Image search: [Google]
1364656875046.jpg
8 KB, 168x192
>>7678817
>he outlines his story
>>
write backwards until you are out of it
>>
>>7678819
It really helps honestly if you tend to find yourself stuck, halting your progress because you don't know what to write next.

Although I guess it's fine not to have an outline if you're writing more experimental work.
>>
>>7678808
deus ex machina
characters facing certain death? pick from any number of solutions such as giant birds, mithril chainmail, an army of invincible ghosts to win your final battle that you never mentioned before, insert a random crystal back in the beginning of the story suggesting it's just ornamental then make it so that its actually the only weapon that can kill the giant spider.

anything ridiculous will do and people will still consider you a great writer.
>>
>>7678808
Delete everything and restart.
>>
Become gurm #2 and make millions.
>>
DON'T CORNER ME DUDE
>>
rewrite
>>
>>7678808
Such a corner doesn't exist.
>>
>>7678819
If I wanted to read your stream of consciousness I'd kill myself.
>>
kill yourself
>>
>>7678808
Brainstorm what 'wouldn't' happen. Keep doing that and you'll find yourself unstuck eventually.
>>
>>7678808
Do what Dickens did, make the way out/ending emotionally satisfying without being logical.
>>
write an ending?
write about something else thats not related to the corner and leave that plot? possibly even come back to that plot later and dont explain how things changed
>>
Kill half the main characters and make the guy who did it evil in revisions
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.