[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this considered to be good literature? I can't comprehend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: a-clockwork-orange.jpg (351 KB, 644x1052) Image search: [Google]
a-clockwork-orange.jpg
351 KB, 644x1052
Why is this considered to be good literature?
I can't comprehend why this is praised when it reads like bland edgy genre fiction of the likes of Fight Club.
>>
fight club is good literature too, anon.
>>
>>7678747

1. It's easy to interpret, it wears its themes pretty well on the sleeve, so people feel smart reading it.

2. It was pretty risque for the time, and was banned often, so there's some historical importance to it.

3. The movie.

4. The invention of nadsat is actually pretty inspired.
>>
>>7678747
The author didn't consider it to be good literature, at least not his favorite of his own works. But its main merit I think is in looking at the darkness in human nature (which might sound cliched, but that's because of how universal the idea is).
>>
>>7678754
>The invention of nadsat is actually pretty inspired
What?
>>
File: 1454013119209s.jpg (3 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1454013119209s.jpg
3 KB, 125x119
>>7678750
Is this what we've come to?
>>
File: 1435114172235.png (13 KB, 530x492) Image search: [Google]
1435114172235.png
13 KB, 530x492
>>7678771
i remember enjoying it in high school.
>>
>>7678770

In the way it's used in the book, it calls attention to the amount of distance Alex and his droogs have to their violent acts. If you didn't already know what the words meant, you might only find out late in the book what some words meant and you'll be surprised to find out the protagonist, a lot of pages ago, just raped and assaulted a woman. It's one of those things that gets lost in the movie adaptation, where they just kind of sound weird and silly.

Remider that this book was written at a time when young gangs were becoming a major area of concern in England. Burgess probably picked up on the slang this kids loved, realized its potential consequences, and mutated it into nadsat.
>>
it's like a slightly below average work in burgess' oeuvre

read his better stuff ;[
>>
>>7678795
how did you not immediately understand what tolchocking young divotchkas meant? or that he bought a 13yo girl a bowl of spaghetti then drugged, raped her and dumped her in the stairwell?

it all seems pretty obvious to me.

>>7678747
it was very good literature in its time. remember there was nothing like trainspotting or fightclub in its time. the raw unadulterated violence was fresh.

do you really not remember feeling a little twitch in your dick reading about tyler trying to give rich people brain worms? I fapped so hard with that perfume bottle story.
>>
>>7678873
>how did you not immediately understand what tolchocking young divotchkas meant? or that he bought a 13yo girl a bowl of spaghetti then drugged, raped her and dumped her in the stairwell?

>it all seems pretty obvious to me.
maybe his mind ain't in the gutter like yours
>>
It's shit. Upset I wasted my time
>>
>>7678747
it is a good book. Better for teen than adult. It is like the catcher in the rye for edgy teens (I like I was).

Without last chapter is bad, with it, it is really good.
>>
>>7678771
Say what you will about the insufferable amount of edge in it, but the writing style is top-tier.
>>
Both the book and movie made me want to fuck people up. Inspiring as hell.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.