[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should I just write as much as I can and hope something good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 1366442559591.png (12 KB, 321x339) Image search: [Google]
1366442559591.png
12 KB, 321x339
should I just write as much as I can and hope something good rises out of it?
>>
What are you, a woman?
>>
Write, take a break, write, take a break, perform checks whether it's any good, fix errors or stupid shit, rinse and repeat.
That's what I do.
>>
Luck is for gamblers.

Pick up a book on technique, learn your shit and hone what you naturally have. Recommending John Gardner's Art of Fiction and Lajos Egri's Art of Dramatic Writing
>>
>>7678263
not to come across too cocksure, i think i've got decent prose/technical skills, i need desperately subject matter, something to say, or aesthetic inspiration
>>
No. If you've ever read the collected works of a great author you'll see that most of the shit is really good, it's just that some of it transcends the rest.
>>
>>7678268
Live??
>>
>>7678283
This
There's a reason why so many good authors are war veterans
>>
>>7678283
clearly 'living' isn't an option here

i'm posting sad smoking men and asking art advice on a preteen anime board 130am on a tuesday
>>
>>7678291
living is the only option.

you're worth more to the world as a person that lived then as a writer who churned out countless pages relying on decent prose/technical skills.

in the morning, shave
take a shower
have a coffee and some sweet bread
then go outside and begin again

>homeboi
>>
>>7678298
>what is work
>>
>>7678237
Write what you enjoy, someone will like it. I mean, John Green and Cassandra Clare are doing well for themselves
>>
>>7678289
because they were drafted? tell me about all those good iraqi/afghan/kosovo vet war writers
>>
is there some sort of /lit/ skype or google group that focuses on writing and critique?

It seems weird we dont have a dedicated one, and the threads are too cramped for anything seriously indepth. I'd love to have something more contained and orderly.
>>
>>7678350
make one.
>>
>>7678351
Enough interest and i will, at least 3-5

Google group, if you guys dont mind that
>>
Well, here we go guys

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/xyzwriters

Just sign in and apply & I'll add you. Honestly I'm just looking to have a couple writebros to chop it up with, nothing too fancy.
>>
>>7678268
>I want to write
>I have nothing to say
AHAHAHHAA thanks anon, you gave me hope today

>>7678263
thanks. will read art of fiction. my problem is writing something that I look at and doesnt look like shit in order to convince the reader to listen to what I have to say.
>>
>>7678283
>Live
this is necessary for having something to say, but how do you become good at prose if you never exercise?
Is the best exercise simply writing and correcting yourself or there's something more to that (aside reading)
>>
uh to the two guys that requested in I ok'd you
>>
>>7678498
thanks, I'm not a native english speaker nor a good writer, so I'm not sure how much I can be of help. I like your introduction though, would read more
>>
>>7678519
Thanks anon, and don't worry we all have our growing pains. Hopefully this thing will be of some help to you.
>>
If you wholly dismiss convention in an attempt to write for quantity and duration you will eventually discover that you get bored a lot easier than when conforming to conventions. You strike extremes of both conformity and non-conformity in an effort to produce and ideally some genuinely intriguing bits which combine the two nicely. In this you will find your greatest satisfaction and quality of work, but you'll find it remarkably difficult to find it - like a needle in a haystack - after you've smothered it with so much else. It will improve your writing, but in some cases you'll loose your ability to judge the value of your work.
>>
>>7678532
I see where you're coming from. Reading Lajos' Egri's book helped me realized that fiction has its "form" just like poetry does. It may seem restricting at first but once you get some hold of it, it becomes deeply liberating.
>>
>>7678538
I don't know Lajos Egri. I just speak from personal experience.
>>
>>7678555
His books really just solidified feelings I already had lingering. Fiction has its "rules" like everything else, guidelines I should say, that help make the process less of a headache. The best thing anyone can do is master them for any specific effect they desire.

I could say thats strictly for the "plot" side of things, but holistically speaking you'll automatically be adjusting your prose to fit the effects you're going for too.
>>
3rd guy you're in too
>>
>>7678263
Recommending Art of Fiction as well, the book is great.

For creative motivation, War of Art by Pressfield is fantastic.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.