[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, what are the best translations for the following
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 199x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 199x250
Hey /lit/, what are the best translations for the following

>Crime and Punishment
>The Brothers Karamazov
>Notes from Underground
>War and Peace
>>
>>7678160
Russian.
>>
wondering why you posted a pic of philip k dick there
>>
>>7678160
>Crime and Punishment
McDuff
>The Brothers Karamazov
Avsey
>Notes from Underground
P&V
>War and Peace
Briggs
>>
>>7678171
Good choices
>>
>>7678163
I would if I could
>>
I read P&V for all of them and have no regrets. However, I'm not a good authority because I haven't read the other translations, but my brother had and recommended me P&V. I think reading them in the original Russian is undoubtedly the best way to read them, but it isn't necessarry as far as themes and ideas go. Really it would only be beneficial if you wanted to study their distinct styles and such.
>>
>>7678160

>Crime and Punishment
* David Magarshack (for an older-style feel without the problems in Constance Garnett's work)
* David McDuff
* Oliver Ready

>The Brothers Karamazov
* Magarshack
* Ralph Matlaw's revision of Constance Garnett's translation
* Andrew MacAndrew
* McDuff
* Ignat Avsey

>Notes from Underground
* Magarshack
* Jane Kentish

>War and Peace
* Aylmer and Louise Maude
* Ann Dunnigan
>>
>>7678160
Jessie Coulson never gets mentioned in these threads but her Crime and Punishment translation is quite well regarded. It's the translation I own.

Otherwise I second him >>7678749
>>
There is no fucking way you guys have read the books in multiple different translations to say which one is the best. You're probably just saying which one you read.
>>
>>7679460
git gud
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.