[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me, pleb reader looking to expand taste >be reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 222x227
>be me, pleb reader looking to expand taste
>be reading dubliners in preparation to attempt ulysses
>enjoy and follow the book up to the Two Gallants
>thorughly confused by the ending
>want to kill myself
>end up googling a summary of the short
>i am not smart enough to attempt ulysses

What books are there for this feel? Why couldn't joyce have given more clues so we know that the girl is stealing from her employer?
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>be me, pleb music listener looking to expand taste
>be listening to random schoenberg on blast in preparation to attempt reading Adorno
>enjoy and follow some pieces for a few seconds here and there
>thoroughly confused by everything else
>want to kill myself
>end up googling Schoenberg on Wikipedia
>i am not smart enough to attempt Adorno
>>
a portrait of the artist as a young man

but if you really want to be patrish and get a reasonable amount of the references in ulysses you're going to have to study the western canon for many years at least. you can get by by constantly referring to annotations but you lose the flow imo.

really though the book can be enjoyed by just about anyone for its own merits, some of the best prose in the language
>>
If you are a pleb reader, don't read Joyce. He's too difficult for you, obviously. There are hundreds of easier yet equally important books that you can read instead.
>>
>>7678152
Start on something easier, some of the chapters in Dubliners are very easy to understand, others such as two gallants are pretty hard. It's not really a matter of being a competent reader it's just that it is reallllllyyyyy fucking Irish, only a Irishmen could understand a lot of the stuff in Dubliners first time around
>>
>>7678276
Dubliners was mostly written in 1905 which makes the language strangely archaic. Besides that, you basically need notes to explain all the irishisms and politics. Especially for Ivy Day in The Committee Room.
>>
>>7678253
desu this. give portrait a whirl, and definitely do try and write a thesis driven paper on it to really solidify your understanding of stephen's evolution. this is crucial for reading his appearance at the start of ulysses, and grasping the passing of the torch which Bloom constitutes for joyce
>>
Are there any good collections of essays on Joyce's works, or at least a decent annotated version of Dubliers or Portrait?
>>
>>7679373
norton critical
>>
>>7679376
thanks
>>
File: image.jpg (392 KB, 1000x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
392 KB, 1000x676
>>7678152
>>7679207
Ivy Day in the Committee Room did this for me, not out of any difficulty wi the prose, but rather that it was too stuck in its own time. It was the only story I skipped in the collection.
>>
>>7680192
It was late 19th Century Irish politics: the story, yeah. It's not terrible once you've read enough Joyce to more or less understand what it's on about but it is too much of a period piece for its own good.
>>
>>7679373
Penguin's editions of Dubliners and Portrait have decent annotations, actually. You don't really need anything like norton or oxford for those two.
>>
Also if you're planning on ever reading Finnegans Wake, I'd actually recommend doing it without any annotations or guides.
>>
>>7680225
he specifically requested a collectin of essays which is why i rec'ed the norton. just for annotations i think any major publisher is fine. joyce is very extensively studied and annotated anyway.
>>
>>7680251
He said either that or just ones with annotations. Norton is the best for essays/criticism but I don't really think Dubliners and Portrait really warrant that much effort.
>>
>>7680192
>>7680217
I don't get it, why don't you just read the sparknotes anaylsis and then reread the story again. It's what I did, it's really helpful.
>>
>>7681792
why would you? it's a shitty story about white identity politics. garbage.jpg
>>
>>7681792
I read it with annotations and got it. That doesn't change the fact that it's ultra-specific to its time period and setting, which can be grating.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.