[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are we allowed to talk theatric performances/film adaptations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: macbeth.jpg (302 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
macbeth.jpg
302 KB, 612x380
Are we allowed to talk theatric performances/film adaptations of Macbeth?

Pic related:

I wanted this one to work, but Kurzell and the writers really fucked with it in a bad way.
>>
>>7677694
You can also just talk adaptations of Shakespeare
>in b4 "Branagh is the best!"

We know.
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 900x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 900x676
He looks like one of those chicks at a new age bookstore... What kind of fabric is that? Saffron silk?
>>
>>7677697

Branagh. Is. Fucking. Terrible.

>WoooOOOooOOOooOoOOoOooiirrrrdssssss.

Disgusting.
>>
File: 3487.jpg (36 KB, 400x519) Image search: [Google]
3487.jpg
36 KB, 400x519
>>7677697
When I first decided to watch a shit load of Hamlet plays I started with a side by side of Branagh and Tenet

Oh god did Branagh make Tenet cringey as hell. Wish I could replace Branagh's Claudius with Patrick Stewart, though, I think his performance is a lot better than whoever the other one is.
>>
>>7677697
Nah. Our Lord Orson still has the best adaptations I've seen.
I watched one recently you can go see on BBC for free, King Lear with Gandalf. That Goneril is perfect.
>>
>>7677694
>the writers
>screwing up a word-for-word adaptation

The movie owned dude only Shakespeare autists didn't like it
>>
Why the hatred for Branagh?
>>
>>7677769
cordelia was so fucking hot in that.
>>
>>7677788
I forgot about her. Gandalf had his hands all over in the end, lucky devil.
>>
>>7677773
They cut out all of the comic characters and some extremely important lines and added a scene. Macbeth's ambition is more or less absent and Lady Macbeth is pulling his strings entirely. Her death is an embarrassment.

Also from the director's own lips: "it sounds more like a western." This is why it failed. You can't take a script written for the stage and try to read it like its conversational tones.

I really liked parts of it man, putting Banco's murder on screen was also a really good choice imo. But so so much of it was poorly executed.
>>
>>7677694
i have never read macbeth, but i think the movie was great, what was so bad about it?
>>
>>7677746

His Hamlet has missteps (the ghost scenes are awful, Robin Williams and Jack Lemon need to not be there, his Mousetrap scene could be more subtle, and he rushes out the lines sometimes) but his is by far the best adaptation. Best Ophelia, best Polonius, Best Laertes, best Castle Elsinore, best "get thee to a nunnery," best gravedigger scene and Olivier's "to be or not to be" just barely edges his out. I could go on.
>>
>>7677833
The retarded 300 slo-mo. I wanted to stop there.
>>
>>7677694
does macbeth really end like that, the new king going out to kill the kid? it seemed strangely contemporary
>>
>>7677845
i know that it's pretty cheap, but i actually really enjoyed it.
the last fight scene was immaculate.
>>
>>7677843
Not to mention he does the entire play.

>>7677833
See >>7677827

Read the play and watch Polanski's version and you'll understand what you're missing. The film is beautiful, but it only has a thin veneer of Shakespeare to it.
>>
>>7677851
yeah, i do plan to read pretty much all of shakespeare, was the dialogues/monologues canon?
>>
>>7677846
No, Kurzell/ the writers added that scene.
>>
>>7677855
I don't know what you mean by "canon."

The words are all Shakespeare's (except when Malcolm finds Macbeth in Duncan's chambers, idk wtf that was). They cut out many important lines from the dialogues, and removed characters (like the Porter) to shorten it for Kurzell's version. Obviously that works sometimes (Olivier cut Rosencrantz and Guildenstern out entirely), but I think losing the tragicomical aspects of the plays impoverishes them in a big way.
>>
>>7677769
Link>
>>
>>7677843

>Olivier's Hamlet
>Good
>Even passable

Jesus Christ, have you ever actually seen a play, any play, in the flesh? The grossest community theatre actor could outperform Olivier.

Tennant's Hamlet is the definitive film adaptation.
>>
>>7677694
DOWNLOAD WHERE?
>>
>>7677888
http://www.pbs. org/video/1075274407/
>>
File: 543243-eee.jpg (117 KB, 580x823) Image search: [Google]
543243-eee.jpg
117 KB, 580x823
Best Macbeth adaptation coming through
>>
>>7677827
>Lady Macbeth is pulling his strings entirely

Where did you get that from?

In this adaptation her role is downgraded to a minimum, even though she's the prime example of the femme fatale and they got a great actress to play her her influence is much smaller than it is in the play or other adaptations
>>
>>7677993
anime can fuck off
>>
The slow motion kept distracting me
Also the costumes
They were really bad
Historical and fantasy costumes in the past 5-10 years in hollywood seem to have gotten really cheap
Everything is on the level of the 1990s Hercules tv series
Some of them were literally wearing padded riding vests

The red at the end was alright.

Orson Welles 1948 Macbeth is a very interesting noirish adaptation, he really emphasizes the conflict between paganism and Christianity in it
As a bonus here is the only footage of his earlier all black stage production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLrqJka-EU
Kurosawas adaptation into a Noh play is also quite interesting
>>
I liked the battle scenes, I thought they were both beautiful and well made and they served to cast the origin of Macbeth's conflict in war rather than Lady Macbeth or something else
>>
>>7678600
you cant beat the archery death
>>
>>7678626
how does death by getting nuked sound you nip
>>
>>7678600

>kurosawa
>anime

I'll be leaving now.
>>
>>7678800
good riddance
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.