[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do dedicated reading rooms make me so efficient? My room
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: reading_room[1].jpg (150 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
reading_room[1].jpg
150 KB, 1024x683
Why do dedicated reading rooms make me so efficient?

My room itself is very comfortable, armchair, nice lighting, great furnishing, study table, the works.

Still, even though the reading room in my college is terrible (third-world here) in terms of ambiance, I still manage to read in a much more focused manner there.

Anyone else get this?

What is it about a change of scenery that refreshes us so?

Pic unrelated.
>>
I've heard that there's some sort of psychology behind it, that your brain compartmentalizes your environment and somehow recognizes that this is your reading place. Dunno, look it up, but reading rooms work great for me too.
>>
>>7674424
I'm not sure of how this works with reading, but can confirm its true - for example, don't work in your bedroom, because your brain will either tell you that it's a place of rest, or you'll cross your wires and your brain will associate it with work, meaning you won't sleep (which is what happened to me).

OP, maybe your brain associates your uni's reading place with just that, reading, and your home with rest.
>>
>>7674467
Thats interesting and id like to believe it.

So much so that I wont even ask for a citation like those idiots who try to find out if smart drugs are making them focus because of a placebo.

Thanks friendo
>>
>>7674404
I usually find cocaine to be more of a help desu
>>
>>7674467
>I'm not sure of how this works with reading, but can confirm its true - for example, don't work in your bedroom, because your brain will either tell you that it's a place of rest, or you'll cross your wires and your brain will associate it with work, meaning you won't sleep (which is what happened to me).
I've been studying law for four years now and have done most of my studies in my bedroom.
This may be why I have one of the worst sleeping patterns imaginable and have had it for a long time.
>>
>>7674404
I hate reading in public, I get so distracted by everybody around me. I can't be completely at ease, the lighting will probably be bad.

I like to read in my backyard with my rabbit especially when the weather is nice or else in my living room lying on a sofa or on my bed. Of course if not with sun light, a lamp on close by.
>>
>reading in public
Just no
>>
>>7674579
Doesn't have to be in public, maybe even a private room you use only for reading.
>>
>>7674573
This sounds like such a writer thing to do. I bet it's lovely.
>>
>>7674467
Is this maybe why people procrastinate so much when they try working from home? We're too stuck with associating home with a place of rest?
>>
I see people reading heavy textbooks in public and I have to wonder why.

Is it because they want to be seen reading a big book? I can't imagine they are actually understanding what they are reading with so much distraction around them
>>
DEDICATED
>>
READING
>>
>>7674732
I know it's difficult for me, especially because I live in a 1 bed apartment. I have no clearly defined spaces. The kitchenette is where I eat, drink, cook, clean, and read on occasion. The bedroom is where I sleep, fuck, write, feed the cat, do homework and also read on occasion. I internet damn near everywhere.
>>
>>7674786
Some people can just zone out, anon. It's happens to me and I read in public quite a bit, usually on a train commute or in a waiting room.
>>
>>7674786
You need to find yourself a quiet room naturally.

I'm OP, I'm not just speaking of public places that are crowded, maybe even silent cafes where you're the only person there, or barren empty libraries.
>>
>>7674404
Yeah, you just trick your brain into associating a certain environment with being productive. You can do the same with certain foods or drinks: like, always drink a specific type of tea when reading, or always chew gum, etc.

It can work the other way around too. I'll never EVER get any work done in my college dorm room, because my brain just associates it with fapping and wasting time on the internet/watching tv.
>>
>>7674864
>Fuck
Sure, anon.
>>
>>7674404
>third-world here
where?
>>
what is a reading room? is it like a miniature library in your dorm hall or something?
>>
>>7674519
>Studying Law
>4 years

How's it feel to take an extra year in a program that even a retard could pass?
>>
>>7677272
India.

>>7677281
Oh no, not necessarily a library, just a silent space where people can read.

It's usually in the library though.

More generally, I can focus better in any place that is silent including the computer room.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.