[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically speaking, what the fuck do I do with a BA in English?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 1429754117695.gif (47 KB, 306x469) Image search: [Google]
1429754117695.gif
47 KB, 306x469
Realistically speaking, what the fuck do I do with a BA in English? I'm in my Junior year and just now realize that I'd rather not be a teacher.
>>
Literally nothing
Should've gone into journalism senpai
>>
>>7673471
Flush it down the toilet.

Or get an MA in something that'll make you at least marginally more employable.
>>
>>7673471
Not American, but based on its name I'm guessing Junior year is first year? Why not just switch to another degree then?
>>
>>7673510
Junior year is third year.
>>
>>7673515
Well, in that case I guess he's screwed.

OP, look into doing a 1-year diploma in IT once the Bachelors is done.
>>
>>7673471
A) get a minor or double major in something where writing and reading comprehension skills mix well

B) be an editor

C) try to be a writer

D) artfully shit post on 4chan
>>
>>7673471
Go to law school after
>>
>>7673539
>B) be an editor
>C) try to be a writer
I'm pretty sure you need an MFA for your degree to even begin mattering for these things. He could probably get an unpaid editing internship.
>>
Get into technical writing
>>
>>7673471

Stop and go to med school.
>>
>>7673540
p much this

if you're a smart guy and took english because you're interested in it, you should have no problem getting into law school or an MBA program.

if you took english because youre a dumbass and wanted an "easy" degree, then youre fucked anyway.

i know a guy who got a BA in film studies and then went to law school, didnt take shit from anyone about his undergrad degree
>>
OP here
Should I just kill myself?
>>
>>7673568
no do this

>>7673540
>>7673560
>>
>>7673540
>>7673560
Are you guys talking about an Masters in Law? I didnt think you could do anything without a JD (4 year law studies)
>>
>>7673471
Be a manager for something not that big

Tutor. In your home country or foreign.

Go for a masters.

Relative to most people you are doing well. You'll probably live a comfortable life and right now you have potential to go beyond that.
>>
File: do it.gif (688 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
do it.gif
688 KB, 300x299
>>7673578
no you fucking idiot he's talking about law school

where the fuck did you read the words "Master's* in Law", hm?

Maybe you should just go ahead and start filling out that Starbucks application, because you clearly haven't learned how to fucking read during the three pathetic years you've spent at school; you were probably too busy smoking dope and jerking off in your dorm that you didn't do any fucking work, and now you come and post on 4chan with the hope that there is some quick-fix hooplah that you can use to turn your life around.

Well, there isn't. But killing yourself won't get you what you really want, it will just end you. No, you don't want to die, you just don't want to have any real responsibilities or obligations.

Too bad! You wasted your time, and now you're going to pay for your laziness with a life of monotonous brain-numbing wagecuck shift work.
>>
I'm in a similar situation as OP. I somehow managed to get into a decent university and despite everyone trying to convince me I wasted the opportunity to get a degree in something pre-med related, I pursued English, I'm interested in being a professor. I'm making good grades and I'm considering staying in school until I can get my doctorate. How difficult will it be for me tofind a job as a professor at a university?? I don't want to teach at some community college.
>>
>>7673548
you dont need an MFA to be a writer. you just need to write well. connections matter, but you can build connections outside an MFA
>>
>>7673600
no need to be upset

he has a legitimate concern. the market is saturated. many people come out of law school and become paralegals, copywriters, basically bitchwork, if they can even find work
>>
>>7673629
I know you don't need a degree to write. I just mean that the only degree that matters at all if you do have a writing-related one is an MFA.
>>
>>7673539
>C) try to be a writer

Forget this one if you're a white male. The focus on diversity now means any new white male trying to be a writer is going to get an even more frosty reception than aspiring writers would usually get.
>>
>>7673621
one of my professors estimated that the number of applications per opening is about 200/1 for tenure positions. adjuncts and visiting are probably better, but for shit pay and no security. good luck with that, you'll only make it if you're already well-known or in with the right people
>>
File: thin white duke.jpg (232 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
thin white duke.jpg
232 KB, 1024x576
>>7673471
OP, tbqhwy

I used to be a junior in an English program in a university considered to be the best by some for humanities. Well, guess where I am now? Studying Java and Precalculus in community college. I figured most of the best PhD programs have 200-400 people applying for 5-10 spots. I also figured if I ever write a decent novel, there's a good chance it won't be enough for me to live on. I doubt you are any different if you spend most of your time funposting on here... friendo.
>>
>>7673652
I'm not a white male; how do I get my works published without resorting to attaching a picture?
>>
>>7673702
Got a suitably ethnic-sounding name? Some white guy last year used a Chinese name to get into Best American Poetry 2015.
>>
>>7673555
what is the deal with technical/professional writing?

Do i get to write ads? brochures? union pamphlets? political party's websites? HR reports?
>>
>>7673652

The real awfulness (not horror) of this Wes Anderson DVD-cover image is that its author wishes to white-privelege-wash away the unpleasant idea that white men have feelings and think thoughts. Literal reverse othering, though I do cringe at the idea of "accepting" the frame, speaking the language. To indict "misguided sexual rage" as some sort of manageable secondary emotion, rather than a Primary UberUrge, is about as meaningful as blaming lions for doing what they do, as the Marquis correctly pointed out. This is the disingenuousness and peculiar pathology of white leftism which still has not rejected its browner and actual rapist infection in literal, actual rape culture.
>>
>>7673712
whatever they need you to do honestly, but you got the gist of it
>>
>>7673705
Very ethnic name. If that was enough then I've got it in the bag.
>>
>>7673471
graze grass
>>
>>7673723
do yu do it as a career? I was thinking of trying to get into it, and hoped it was alright and paid more than the minimum wages Iget now
>>
I'm in my fourth year of a BA in English. I'm following it up with an advanced diploma in human resource management.
>>
>>7673471
Here is a site that lists career options for an English major.

http://www.roosevelt.edu/CAS/Programs/LIT/CareerGuide.aspx

Your school should also have a career center that can hook you up with internships and prospective employers. The English department might be able to help you as well. Finally most schools have an alumni organization that can help as well.

Or you can do what I am doing, and go for a masters degree. Most English masters programs only take a couple of years if you go full time, and depending on where you go, it may be much cheaper than your undergraduate degree. I went to a state school for my BA and had to take out loans. With my MA I am able to pay as I go.
>>
>>7673471
Lots.

Work in a publishing house. Be a copy editor. Get into business. English BA is incredibly versatile. It's built on the premise of communicating. You'd be surprised how many people can't write a simple fucking sentence. The jobs are out there, and they take finding, but they exist. Go see your school's career counselor, get a LinkedIn, find out what some of your school's English alumni have done and contact them seeing if their jobs have available positions.

The sooner you start, the easier it gets.
>>
>>7673471
If you can write, there's always editing.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.