[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Bulfinch's Mythology a superior text to Edith Hamilton's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 450327.jpg (140 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
450327.jpg
140 KB, 311x475
Is Bulfinch's Mythology a superior text to Edith Hamilton's Mythology? Or is there one that is better than either of them.
>>
>>7673175
why tho
>>
tfw thread ignored
>>
Bulfinch's is much bigger, at least plus it covers Norse mythology and more "recent" material like King Arthur and Charlemagne. I think that Hamilton does a better job with the Greeks though. Get them both and compare.
>>
I'm not sure why anons bother reading either to be honest. I studied history and classics in college, and we always learned and discussed myth from primary sources.
>>
>>7675831
Because not everyone can devote years of their life to studying those primary sources?
>>
>>7675852
>devote years
anon...
just start with Hesiod Works and Days/Theogony , it's like 100 pages, and you'll learn a ton about Greek myth.

Then maybe go to Homer, Ovid.
Epic of Gilgamesh
Edda
Le Morte D'Arthur

all easily readable and readily available, and won't take 'years of your life'
>>
>>7675771
>Norse
Doesn't Hamilton cover that too?
>>
>>7675885
I'm working through the Iliad right now. What translations of Works and Days/Theogony are best? Is it actually an entertaining read or is it similar to Hamilton's wikipedia-like summaries?
>>
>>7676011
I have the Lombardo translation published by Hackett Classics, same copy I had in college many many years ago.
>>
>>7675852
>>7675885
>not devoting years of your life to a cthonic mystery cult to intimately understand the mythology surrounding it
>>
>>7676167
sign me up
>>
How's the English in Edith's book, simple? I tried looking for it in the library and the bookstore but this shit is nowhere to be found.
>>
File: 1440648853423.jpg (133 KB, 546x1000) Image search: [Google]
1440648853423.jpg
133 KB, 546x1000
>>7673091
I haven't read Hamilton so I can't say if it's better. But Bulfinch is extremely accessible to anyone of a certain reading comprehension level. Normies who had never heard anything of Greek mythology before hand can get a decent overview within a few hours. Doesn't really go into anything more than the actual narrative of the tales though.
>>
>>7675913
for about eight pages
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.