[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Stephen King books are worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: Stephen-King.jpg (198 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Stephen-King.jpg
198 KB, 1200x675
Which Stephen King books are worth reading?
>>
>>7672982
Different Seasons
The Shining
Pet Semetary
IT
The Stand
Misery
Gunslinger 1
>>
What's with all the King threads being made?

If you're seriously asking for King reccs, just go for any of his most famous novels, like Carrie, The Shining, It, and if you thought it sucked then don't explore any more because it's not getting much better.
>>
>>7672982
Full Dark, No Stars
Just After Sunset
Everything's Eventual

Basically any of his short story/novella collections and not any of his full length books. He's terrible at writing those. Also don't expect anything more than shallow entertainment, because that's all he does.
>>
Anything before 1990 is readable.

The Richard Bachman books are very entertaining.
>>
>Stephen King
>Books worth reading
>>
>>7672982
If you're stuck in a holiday home while it rains outside, and the only books on the shelf are by King, then maybe he's worth reading. If you're on a long flight and you haven't taken any books, and a friend offers you a King book, then it might be worth reading. But if you have any other options, there is no King book that is worth reading.
>>
>>7673014
I've noticed R/ books type threads asking about King, Pratchett, Rowling, etc. lately. I'm not sure if shiteposting or Redditors.
>>
It.

That's it.
>>
On Writing and not a single other thing.
>>
>>7673056

PICK ONE AND ONLY FUCKING ONE.

idk, I only read The Shining because I liked the movie. Kubrick and Nicholson made that movie. The book was somehow less creepy.
>>
None of them
>>
>>7672982
The Talisman
Gunslinger
The Stand
>>
>>7672982
IT for the adolescent sewer gang bang
>>
>>7672982
Nightmares and Dreamscapes has some weird shit in it.
>>
Not Carrie and 11/22/63
>>
Adofl Hilter
>>
Misery
The Stand
The Dark Tower series as a whole but at least Drawing of the Three
The Shining
The Long Walk

when i was 15 or 16 i spent the entire summer reading IT, payoff is ass but everything leading up to it is pretty delicious
>>
>>7674723

More like That's It
>>
>>7673118
Reccs on Rowling?

Like she's diverse?
>>
File: Ragebachman.jpg (11 KB, 255x385) Image search: [Google]
Ragebachman.jpg
11 KB, 255x385
>>7672982
The Bachman books are at least entertaining, considering it's the pseudonym he used while on a considerable amount of booze. Also, pic related if you can get your hands on it, only King novel that I'd consider "over-looked".
>>
Pet Sematary is his best.
>>
I've only ever read Dreamcatcher, and I thought it was a fun read.
>>
Anyone read The Green Mile? Have it but have never read it. Also own The Stand, which I understand is quite good, so I will read it eventually.
>>
File: Stephen king.jpg (29 KB, 540x403) Image search: [Google]
Stephen king.jpg
29 KB, 540x403
>>7676341
I read it, but I'm not a usual /lit/ browser (that is to say I don't worship the ground that Big Dave's feet hovered over, not yet at least.) so my opinion is not considered worth a fuck here. I liked it, as I have every other king story I've read. Take that as you will.
>>
File: dfwCarrie.jpg (90 KB, 500x435) Image search: [Google]
dfwCarrie.jpg
90 KB, 500x435
>>7672982
DFW used SK for his Lit class. I would love to listen in on his lectures if there are any recordings. I know that somewhere in my closet or basement there is a micro cassette recording of some college professor talking about some obscure theory or idea.

English majors that took his class could be sitting on some DFW's recordings as he discusses with his class, books like: SK's Carrie, or other trade paperback books.

Link related: DFW's margin notes on SK's Carrie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5669470/david-foster-wallaces-margin-notes-on-stephen-kings-carrie-and-cs-lewis-first-narnia-book
>>
How is Bazarr of Bad Dreams?
>>
I read The Stand (the uncut version which is like 1000 pages) and while a promising beginning completely fell apart in the latter third and just wouldn't end. What they say is true, he just can't finish.

I also picked up the first book in the Dark Tower series but never ended up reading it. I later gave it to someone.
>>
>>7676478
What's it even say?
>>
>>7674723
It isn't even good. seriously this guy just writes and writes about bull shit or tries to 'paint the scene' way too much when your imagination could have filled in the blanks just as easily.
>>
Misery is his best book. The Mist is pretty good. Bachman books are ok.

King endings are terrible other than a few.
>>
I actually like all the Dark Tower books and binge read them all at the end of 2015.

I also read them out of order. I think I read 1>7>Wind through the Keyhole>4>3>6>5>2.

They're such a peculiar melting pot of King's motifs, Tolkien-esque fantasy tropes, westerns and horror that there's something very flavoursome about them. Some people felt truly gypped by the ending (though I like it) you might be more rewarded if you read them as a sequence of ideas and action sequences rather than a coherent overarching narrative, like, say, LOTR.

It helps that the central character, Roland, while heavily based on Clint Eastwood/cowboy archetypes, actually feels like one of King's more rounded and interesting creations.
>>
>>7676906
looks like

"Carrie is a SLuT - the geek in school - ugly, shy, naive. [indecipherable] her is a courage, a desire to fit in - something the somthing something something p 22"
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.