[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand how so many people are capable of writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_o1xsguJw6B1rves7ho2_540.jpg (82 KB, 528x810) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1xsguJw6B1rves7ho2_540.jpg
82 KB, 528x810
I don't understand how so many people are capable of writing whole books. How can you get yourself to sit there every day for months and write? How do you manage to keep hammering at the same idea for so long without deciding to change things or deciding the whole thing is retarded and a waste of time?
>>
In your opinion, what is a better use of time ?
>>
>>7672421

They just write instead of succumbing to anxiety about writing, anon
>>
>>7672425
It's not about what I think is worth my time. I just get bored or distracted or writer's block or I want to try out a new concept that isn't compatible with my story
>>
>>7672421
Writing is only 50% of the effort. You have to work on an idea and map it out, gather as much theme and content as you can, figure iut what the hell the story is going to be about, formulate the plot, characters, transistions, themes, etc. and just leave it there for a bit and actually THINK about it, taking all your time and meditation... THEN start writing it. With all that meditation and mapping, you should enough material to make a full length novel. Don't think about whether or not your book will be shit. Write it. There's room for revision and peer review at a later time, and then you can work on a second draft. At this point, though, meditation for the next draft is just as important, so it's really a rinse and repeat process.
>>
I don't understand why so many people on this board are obsessed with writing. I feel like the only person here who just wants to read and discuss literature.

I can't imagine that it's hard to write though if you actually have something to say. To them, it's not a chore, but a hobby. Paid writers are pretty much just living the dream because they are getting paid to do something that they do anyway for fun.
>>
>>7672816
you're like 20 aren't you
hopefully at some point you stop being content with being a leech on the world and start wanting to create something of your own
>>
drugs
>>
>>7672421
It's not as impossible as it sounds. You just have to make time for it.
>>
>>7672816
being well-read lends itself to confidence in writing. most people either don't understand that writing requires talent as well as practice, or they believe they have that talent. there are probably as many great writers as great musicians.
>>
>>7672918
>writing requires talent
Maybe, but getting published sure as hell doesn't.
>>
>>7672812
When I do care about a story, I think about it all the time, but I get caught up in thinking about very tiny, unimportant details and don't realize until I get to the page that I've forgotten the big picture entirely. I just had to trash a story because of it
>>
>>7672421

Except for days where I'm struggling to work, which is maybe 20% of the time, I really enjoy the process. For me, it's an escape from life. I just get pulled into the world, and when things are flowing and I'm producing some good stuff, it's like a high. So basically I just keep chasing the high. It also helps that I feel guilty when I haven't been writing.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.