[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any "essential classics" that you feel no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 1
File: 1348532317225.jpg (27 KB, 384x215) Image search: [Google]
1348532317225.jpg
27 KB, 384x215
Are there any "essential classics" that you feel no interest in reading? Something you always see on lists or in threads, but feel no desire to ever pick up a copy?
>>
Lord of the Rings
>>
I will never read 1984 or Brave New World. Just a super boring topic to me. Also any Vonnegut/Pynchon.
>>
>>7672410

You might also be bored by Darkness at Noon but it's much more important than Orwell/Huxley and deserves to be their place
>>
Bible. I feel compelled to read it, knowing it's importance, and it's not that I'm an fedora atheist, but when I think about reading it I feel an eagerness similar to what I would feel in considering reading a 2,000 page book of tax codes
>>
Middlemarch, the man without qualities, basically any doorstopper that doesn't have enough jerkoff status to justify the investment.
>>
>>7672407
Yeah, I just have no desire to read any Tolkien, at all. I know I should, I just, doubt I ever will
>>
Steinbeck
Looks like boring realist crap and I've already read enough French and Russian boring realist crap. (Just joking, the Russians are great.)
>>
I'm not going to read anything written by a woman. Jane Austen is a meme. Brontes are a meme.
>>
Don Quixote, Milton, Virgil, Charlotte Bronte
>>
>>7672712
>Don Quixote
Why?
>>
Anything written by a woman
Anything written by a person who is still alive
Anything written in spanish
>>
>>7672726
>Classics
>>
>>7672392
Catcher in the rye, Grapes of wrath, To kill a Mockingbird, Great gatsby
>>
>>7672800
>Gatsby

Why though
>>
>>7672800
Exact same here, except MAYBE Grapes if I happen to like Eden which people rave about a lot.

>>7672922
I'm not American and the first few pages were a slog.
>>
Moby Dick

>American
>Bout a fucking giant whale or some shit
Nah
>>
>>7672668
George Eliot is not a meme.
>>
Finnegan's Wake
>>
>>7674159
Most understandable pick for this thread but also most unfortunate
>>
>>7674159
>>7674163
That's not essential nor a classic.
>>
>>7672800
>>7672922
These, ie books whose fames expressly derive from young Americans having to study them, the institutional effort at building a recognized body of works, and not much else.
(checked)
>>
>>7674165
It's definitely a classic at this point, but it seems unfair to call it essential, given how unreadable it is.
>>
>>7674165
>one of the most lauded books of all time
>Joyce's true magnum opus
>not essential
>>
>>7674170
Not entirely the case for Fitzgerald or Salinger, who are also very talented writers. Maybe not among the best of their times, though.
>>
>>7674175

shutup.
>>
Infinite jest
>>
>>7672486
I loved the good fucking shit out of Middlemarch. It's a super impressive piece of writing. I couldn't put it down.

If you ever read Balzac or Dickens, do also try to fuck with Middlemarch
>>
>>7674177
Why?
>>
>>7674182

I just altered your reality
>>
>>7674184
Excuse me?
>>
>>7674186
Damn, that ninja just hit you with a serious gesture of free will
>>
>>7674193
Please stay on topic.
>>
>>7674186

Yes the course you take will be inherently different to what it was before. You're in a different stream of causal action now. We are closer because i triggered that action with a high amount of self awareness.

maybe you will not get hit by a car now, maybe you will, maybe you'll land that job, win big, maybe not. Good luck.
>>
>>7674195
no u ;)
>>
>>7674198
This isn't your job at the fortune cookie manufacturing plant, Anonymous. This is 4chan's literature board.
>>
>>7672410
>social satire is a boring topic

This is what proto-hominids believe
>>
Pynchon and Franzen I could live without
>>
>>7674205

You're thirsty. You might reach for your drink. You might decide you can wait awhile before you drink. Throat a little dry. Probably will leave it. Not sure now. Quite thirsty. Should drink but don't want to now. you're gonna have a drink. You're also gonna go thirsty.
>>
>>7674221
I'm thinking you're the one who should shut up, now.
>>
>>7674226

your tongue is starting to stick to the insides of your mouth now. dryness increases at a faster rate it seems, probably just more noticeable. you think why don't you just drink whats your problem?
>>
>>7674234
Please take this wacky random bullshit to /b/. It has no place here.
>>
>>7674242

You said this to me

Please take this wacky random bullshit to /b/. It has no place here.
>>
>>7674249
I did. Now follow my advice.
>>
drink up everyone pls
>>
>>7674253
You too, and be sure to take your meds along with it.
>>
>>7674253

or else grow dry as desert landscape
>>
>>7672434
Consider reading a book on the bible I guess
>>
>>7672668
Reading Sense and Sensibility right now, it's the good kind of boring but you're not missing out.

As for me, I will NEVER EVER (EVER) read The Old Man and the Sea. Don't even have a valid reason, I just dislike the title.
>>
>>7674262

stroke me.
>>
Lolita
>>
>>7674291
You shouldn't sexually harass people, even over the internet.
>>
>>7674318

you made it sexy and then made to pin the blame.
>>
I don't really feel like ever reading Virginia Woolf and I feel like it might honestly be because she's a woman, even though I have no real problem reading other woman authors
>>
>>7674721
well at least you solved your own problem

go read the waves and mrs. dalloway and the voyage out, you snail

there are not many better writers in english, not very many at all
>>
>>7674721
It's because of her name. Not exactly essential but you'd be missing out if you don't read the waves.
>>
>>7674774
>>7674735
Well, that's a pretty good recommendation at least. I might buy The Waves just so I feel obligated to read it.
>>
>>7672654
me too
>>
Brave New World (only made it about thirty pages)
Moby Dick
Dickens or Austen (vomit)
Lolita
Infinite Jest
>>
Maybe I'm a huge pleb, but Plato and Aristotle don't seem interesting. I dunno. Philosophy has never interested me.
>>
>>7674877
cant go wrong there. woolf is the patrician goddess, she literally published the waste land by ts eliot herself
>>
>>7674895
I would agree with all but Lolita.

Dickens, I can completely see how he became so famous, but he's just not for me.
>>
>>7674910
Balzac invented Dickens, read him first
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.