[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of John Scalzi's work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: johnscalzi.jpg (358 KB, 1600x1195) Image search: [Google]
johnscalzi.jpg
358 KB, 1600x1195
Which book would it be best to start with?
>>
>>7671655
He is probably the worst sf author I've ever read and trash is where I'd start with him.
>>
>>7671655
I have no idea who he is but why is he wearing chris-chan's shirt?
>>
>>7671799
I heard he won a bunch of awards and was well respected. Who would you recommend for modern SF?
>>
File: scalzi_rapeculture.jpg (86 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
scalzi_rapeculture.jpg
86 KB, 620x372
>>7671826
A rapist
>>
>>7671835
No one. Modern sff is trash too.
>>
>>7671839
So he raped chris-chan and stole his shirt? I guess that explains why he grew his hair out and started calling himself Christine.
>>
>>7671655
>bookshelf full of paperbacks
absolutely disgusting
>>
Scalzi's novels generally have a fairly intersting premise or bit of science at its heart, but then fail to do anything interesting with them. Old Man's War and Lock In in particular felt this way to me.

Redshirts is probably his best because it can build off of the reader's knowledge of Star Trek and combine it was some meta commentary. It also has a couple of main characters, which means it minimizes the amount of time with the typical Scalzi main character.

The Scalzi main character is a straight white male old enough to have a college degree, but new to whatever job he has so all the rules can be explained to the reader. He'a an atheist, but will without fail take an opportunity to explain how he is accepting of other beliefs. In Locked In, the main characters takes a couple pages to explain slurs regarding people who suffer from the ficitonal Haden's disease. The person he explains it to apologizes for using offensive terminology and then it never comes up again. The Scalzi main character never makes a mistake either, excepting instances where there was no possible way of knowing, and never does anything morally culpable.

It's always seemed weird to me that Scalzi is the most outspoken SJW on his blog and twitter, but then only writes the most milquetoast protagonists and forgettable sterotypes of a supporting cast.
>>
Distilled nu-male.
>>
Read Vox Day instead.
>>
>>7672614
You could've reduced your opinion of Scalzi down to a single word: "Redshirts".
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.