[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best version of this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: iliad.gif (138 KB, 329x475) Image search: [Google]
iliad.gif
138 KB, 329x475
What's the best version of this book?
>>
read it in original greek or don't bother at all
>>
I've liked Fagles a lot.
>>
Fitzgerald
>>
my library had the Lombardo translation and two old randoms, seems fine
>>
audiobook It was never meant to be read.
>>
>>7671596
E.V Rieu's prose translation will give you a good grasp of the content. After that read some poetic translations... Fitzgerald, Fagles, Lattimore.

After you've read it several times read Pope's translation and realize it's greatness.
>>
>>7671599
>read it
Kek. What's the matter, no itinerant bards at your court?
>>
>>7671833

>not having a narrator in your head

Anyway, Fagles for simplicity (not necessarily bad, it gives it more of a Greek feeling), Pope for beautiful English, and Fitzgerald for something in-between I've heard (I haven't read Fitzgerald, though, so don't quote me on that).
>>
Going back in time and hearing it as a performance.

It is widely agreed now that parts of The Iliad were improvised, and that the contemporary version is full of "impurities" as a result. A written version cannot capture the original.
>>
>>7672088
They sang with fucking ridiculous lutes and banjos. It's hard to take them seriously. Good luck with time travel. I hope you discover why homosexuality was invented.
>>
>>7671596
The original. Duh.
>>
>>7671846
Second this, read prose first, then verse. You'll understand what's going on more, so when you read the verse you'll be able to appreciate the linguistics without focusing too much on the story.
>>
>>7672088
Fuck that, you should have been born as a Greek, grown up fighting the Persians and be completely immersed in Greek culture to really get Homer. Otherwise, don't even try to read/listen to him, you'd just waste your time.
>>
>>7672152
>not being Homer himself
pleb
>>
>>7671846

Why not just skip to the poetic translations? They aren't complex to read at all.
>>
I'm reading the Sam Butler version, and it seems cluttered with shit.
>>
>>7672162
Maybe the person who recommends that is retarded and can only read Fagles without a dictionary.
>>
Stanley Lombardo does it best.
>>
Not OP. I ordered its penguin classics deluxe edition last week, did I fuck up?
>>
It's best to read multiple translations and have a very active imagination to go with it. It's up to you to weave the full tapestry of it in your mind
>>
>>7671865
sry some of us do know ancient greek senpai
>>
>>7671596
Pope translation is really beautiful, but you should definitely read an easier to understand translation like Fagles first.
>>
>>7671804
But Fagles is shit.
>>
So how does faux-balladic literature รก la The Worm Ouroboros face up to the real deal?
>>
Can someone post the picture about Dante's Divine Comedy translations and their differences?
>>
>>7672163
Currently reading that as well, it does seem cluttered
>>
File: Verity.jpg (151 KB, 515x656) Image search: [Google]
Verity.jpg
151 KB, 515x656
Anthony Verity
Oxford University Press
>>
>>7672522
Bumperoo
>>
>>7672522
>>7675645
Fagles is good, or good enough. Stop ordering Penguin Classics though; you lucked out here but Oxford U Press/ plenty of other presses are way better. A little research into alot of Penguin's translations/ editions in general show alot of it is kinda half-assed or done on a dime.

The covers are pretty though, so there's that. But yeah, the Fagles Odyssey/Iliad is good. Don't know about his Aeneid, haven't looked into it.
>>
File: 1444954590325.png (2 MB, 2000x7594) Image search: [Google]
1444954590325.png
2 MB, 2000x7594
>>7674190
Are you referring to this one?
>>
>>7675464
>SING, goddess, the anger*
>anger*
>*

dropped
>>
Just don't get Fitzgerald's, he killed a kid.
>>
>>7676482
Yes, thank you very much
>>
Iliad or Odyssey first? And Fagles for the latter right?
>>
>>7676508
Well if he killed a kid for the sake of his translation that is proof of his dedication isn't it

>>7676527
Are you stupid?
>>
>>7676508
??? Elaborate?
>>
I don't know
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.