[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comparative Literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: curtius.jpg (141 KB, 1300x731) Image search: [Google]
curtius.jpg
141 KB, 1300x731
You do know, that you are utter trash pleb tier, if you do not have academic background in literature, right?

So let's talk academics.

What's your point of view on comparative literature?
Favourite scholars?
Favourite essays?

Is it more poetics, literature theory, poetics or cultural studies for you?
Do you think it's future of literature studies?
>>
>>7670786
>You do know, that you are utter trash pleb tier, if you do not have academic background in literature, right?
As opposed to trash patrician tier, when you dumpster dive out of necessity due to poor choice in degree.
>>
>>7670793
kek keep delusional.
im studying what I love
im working as a gallery curator, which helps me develop myself even broader.

keep your shitty 9-5 job and absolutely zero knowledge about any form of art. (btw sorry for my english, i'm not from these dumpsters, I mean US/UK)
>>
File: wellek.jpg (132 KB, 768x809) Image search: [Google]
wellek.jpg
132 KB, 768x809
>>7670786
lol i guess only plebs on this board

>Talking about Finnegans Wake all the time
>They know shit about literature
>They don't even know why is it really good

Fuck this board
>>
File: beter.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
beter.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>>7670786
>What's your point of view on comparative literature?

One of being bombarded by literature from all over the world and losing as much of an Overview as you gain every semester. Kinda.
>>
>>7670786
>utter trash pleb tier
Actually, you're utter trash pleb tier if you aren't armigerous.
>>
Can you all give me some insights into literary criticism? Perhaps a bibliography or at least some insights to get me started/show me where to look further?
>>
>>7671877
norton an thology
>>
>>7673467
I have one volume of the Norton Anthology. I was thinking more along the lines of theory as being a part of literary criticism, similar to what OP started this thread off with.
>>
>>7671877
http://oyc.yale.edu/english/engl-300

http://northropfrye-theanatomyofcriticism.blogspot.ca/2009/02/polemical-introduction.html
>>
>>7673499
I get the Yale English 300 one a lot to the point it has become a meme as far as I see things.

Any more specific? I'm sure people here are looking for more specific names of scholars and essays which have something to offer.
>>
File: jbd.png (182 KB, 410x440) Image search: [Google]
jbd.png
182 KB, 410x440
>>7673509
THERES A FUCKING SYLLABUS YOU DUMB CUNT

READ A FUCKING BOOK
>>
is fredric jameson any good?

who does marxist point of view the best?
who does a postmodern point of view on literature the best?
>>
>>7673517
>http://oyc.yale.edu/english/engl-300
It just lists the textbook they are using and what they will be doing in terms of grading.
>>
>>7670786
if i wanted to be at the bleeding edge of literary criticism in academic circles, what should I know? New Criticism, New Historicism, good old marxism, postmodernism, or poststructuralism or something else, or nothing at all?
>>
>>7673495
norton anthology of theory and criticism not the literature one
>>
>>7673551
as bloom put it, "new historicism isn't historicism and isn't new."

marxism is either dead or mutilated

postmodernism is either a meme or a catchall

maybe learn new crit, structuralism then poststructuralism. i've read little contemporary criticism
>>
>>7673551
feminism, ecocriticism, digitial humanities, new colonialism, anything involving identity politics and new media
>>
>>7673707
no marxism can't be dead, hardt and badiou and harvey and jameson are still in the game

>>7673714
fuck, new media and digital humanities and identity politics?

why even live?
>>
>>7673551
Deleuze and Foucault. The answer is always Deleuze and Foucault in every discipline every question
>>
>>7670786
It was a really fun major. I looked at both complit and English, and found the former had all the weird stuff.

I would say my old program was mostly theory and cultural studies. We were very experimental when it came to narrative forms.

Most of my projects touched on post-colonial theory. I used Edward Said's orientalism for my Lovecraft paper. Longinus on sublimity was a fun one too.
>>
>>7673807
yea it's shitty

new media can be done well but 95% of the time it's really not

hoping the identity politics things blows over relatively quickly but im not holding my breath
>>
>>7674674
this
>>
>>7674674
it sucks because right as we reach this apex of critical complexity in lit, it is immediately harnessed for whining about how many times a 19th century poet said "nigger" in his private correspondence or how women weren't allowed to be trannies in the 40s or something, as evidenced by cruelly pilfering the works of a brilliant author solely for evidence of that horrible thesis

on that note i honestly wish they'd gender segregate academia. i cannot fucking take being around women anymore. they are perennial whiners no matter what they study. watching them handle literature is like watching a japanese crab fisherman rip a live crab's face and claws off and turn it into raw seafood without even batting an eyelash, and i'm a crab biologist.
>>
>>7676763
Pretty sure someone wouldn't bump this thread for a mediocre attempt at your readings and interpretations.
I'd imagine they are, like many of us here in the thread, looking for names of theorists and actual foundation works within the field of theory that will inform their own future works and critiques.
>>
>>7670786

Why do you think it is that academics know so much about what makes a book good, but can't create one themselves?
>>
>>7673826
yeah, pretty much this, but you should know your marx, too. and hegel, probably. reading the kojeve lectures should get you up to speed.
>>
>>7676788
Someone bumped it. I was annoyed, so I posted something more interesting than a 'bump'. Yes it was off topic, and I apologize for that. However you could have just pointed that out, rather than being a dick.
>>
>>7673992
Where did you go to school?
I'm a comparative literature and philosophy double major, minoring in (and focusing my remaining 2 semesters of comp lit on) French.
My school really lets you make your own path. There's a lot of potential for independent studies, which is of course whatever you want. There are courses that focus on postcolonialism, violence/war, politics, history, existentialism and other fields of philosophy, and of course sometimes all of those in one. Every class I've taken has had quite a bit of theory or philosophy as reading material to go along with the fiction.
My favorite course has probably been a seminar titled "democracy and literary criticism," my paper for which was 25 pages on 2666 and Mexican politics.
>>
>>7675054
It's to be expected mate
The field of academia has become more and more littered with trash ever since the meme that everyone needs to go to college started

Liberal arts and such are the ones affected the most by it too
It's really heartbreaking to see the humanities just run through the gutter
>>
>>7670786
Well hey there Reddit.
>>
>>7674674
can digital humanities be something like writing about 'twitter archetypes as demonstration of class?' or is it more like 'how to publish a great online magazine and stories?
>>
>>7677243
In my experience, every digital humanities person has been a gauge-wearing gay or woman non-white who thought they were on the cutting edge of cyberSJWing.

Maybe that was just bad luck. But scope it out hard beforehand.
>>
>>7677253
at least it sounds like something I could bring back down to earth if I entered into it, maybe to the relief of any prof or outsider or publishers
>>
>>7670804
you're really mad for some reason

>seing being something as validation of success for himself
>thinks he'll be satisfied doing the same shit all the time
>studying what I love

go back to tumblr
>>
File: 1454713924321.jpg (25 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
1454713924321.jpg
25 KB, 500x415
>>7677293
not him, but to be fair I find the hottest pictures from tumblr.
>>
>>7677652
who is this semen demon?
>>
>>7677243
Both, but more of the first.

>>7675054
I wouldn't go as far as to gender segregate it. It's not the women that need to go, it's the toxic shit they're willing to swallow. Professors need to grow a fucking backbone and return the ideary of humanities to seriousness.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.