[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Wife and I "make it" financially >Have huge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: UberSpace2.png (4 MB, 2266x1371) Image search: [Google]
UberSpace2.png
4 MB, 2266x1371
>Wife and I "make it" financially
>Have huge range of new job options, pick one that has consistantly been listed as a top 10 best school system in the state based on test score, AP scores, and other less important rubrics(Murrica)
>Sit down with my coffee this morning and wander over to their hs site to see if the school district has early childhood education foreign language courses available
>See their English Book Curriculum

English 9 & 10
A Child Called It
A Christmas Carol
A Good Lie
A Long Way Gone
A Separate Peace
A Streetcar Named Desire
Among the Barons
Among the Betrayed
Among the Hidden
Among the Imposters
Animal Farm
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Beloved
Beowulf
Breathing Underwater
Elephant Man
Fahrenheit 451
Feed
Flowers for Algernon
Go Ask Alice
God Bless the Beasts and Children
Hole in My Life
House on Mango Street
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Ironman
Jurassic Park
Kite Runner
Long Way Gone
Lord of the Flies
Macbeth
Memory Keeper’s Daughter
Mississippi Burning

POSSIBLE FICTIONAL BOOKS & MOVIES
Monster
Night
The Freedom Writer's Diary
Oedipus the King
Of Mice and Men
Poisonwood Bible
Romeo and Juliet
Rumblefish
Speak
Stargirl
Stuck in Neutral
Tapped
That Was Then, This Is Now
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Burn Journals
The Color Purple
The Contender
The Crucible
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
The Death and Life of Sneaky Fitch
The Fault in Our Stars
The First Part Last
The Great Gatsby
The Hunger Games
The Last Lecture
The Last of the Mohicans
The Life and Times of Frederick Douglas
The Lovely Bones
The Miracle Worker
The Outsiders
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Scarlet Letter
The Secret Life of Bees
The Things They Carried
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Things Fall Apart
To Kill a Mockingbird
Woodsong

English 11 & 12
A Christmas Carol
Flash Fiction
Flash Fiction Forward
Hamlet
Into the Wild
Life of Pi
Nineteen Minutes
Our Town
The Bean Trees
The Catcher in the Rye
The Color Purple
The Crucible
The Great Gatsby
The Secret Life of Bees
Winter’s Bone
Paper Towns

>tfw considering sending my kids to prep academy and eating the cost
>>
>>7670640
The senior English options are particularly reprehensible
>>
are you sending your children soonish? because they change their books quite often
>>
>>7670653
naw they are just in kindergarten, but the I cant imagine the level of literature will rise in 10 years.
>>
>>7670640
>Paper Towns

I remember opening up Paper Towns in a drugstore to see if John Green was as bad as the memes declare. Being sold in a drug store, I was suspicious right away, but I gave Paper Towns a chance which, as it turns out, it did not deserve. I read about 3 pages, standing there, in the span of a minute or two because the prose is so desperately vapid, and I am the first to admit I am normally a slow reader. The text was mostly dialogue, poorly written dialogue at that, about a collection of black santa dolls with undertones of racial morality and "social justice". The grasping nature of the author for depth and relevance was overtly apparent and, in a state of revulsion, I shut the book. I did potential readers the favour of hiding it behind some 50th rate thriller by the overrated Steven King and stood there stupefied...mortified by the fact that not only do authors feel compelled to write this drivel, or worse that publishers actively seek out such writers, but it gets published, printed, and sold in staggering numbers. Hiding one copy of this terrible novel behind another book would accomplish nothing. The literary world is clearly in a state of rigor mortis, propped up by publishers that wave it's dead arms about to attract readers.
>>
>>7670640
Do it. Prep school is better than public school for dozens of other reasons
>>
Do it OP. Your children will be very grateful to you that they never had to suffer through public school.
>>
To be fair if your kid is smart they'll never take English 11 and 12 because of AP Language and AP Literature and they'll probably finish that early due to taking English 9 in 8th grade like most smart kids so they'll be able to do extra reading their senior year anyway.
>>
let the kid go to the local hs, they'll need a break from your hothousing and probably will need to read paper towns to learn basic social skills to a 14 y/o level when they're 17
>in b4 i'm not hothousing my kids
yeah that's why they need to learn languages they wouldn't pick up from a multilingual household, because you're totally not living vicariously through another human being
>>
>>7670640
Send them to Montessori. Prussian-model schooling teaches children to be braindead labor drones that do what the factory bell tells them.

>BING BONG change classes
>BING BONG go to lunch
>BING BONG you are a cow

If Montessori is good enough for the Google bros, it should be good enough for your kid.
>>
>>7670906
> because you're totally not living vicariously through another human being
>tfw I would be unable to not do this
also the prospect of a-child-of-mine is terrifying.
>>
Prep schools are fucking awful. I keep dating these rich broads from them, always $30,000 fancypants shit out in LA, and they get this weird sense that they are The Future Elites of America but no actual rigorous education. It's so bizarre. They read eight pages of Tennyson in tenth grade and then do a stageplay about the importance of recycling, their parents whip them until they ace the SATs, they go to Harvard for undergrad, and at no point along this entire journey did they ever read a book in depth or actually become an intelligent person.

Teach your fucking kids yourself. If you can't get a half-decent education for the little wieners for $500,000 at the Waldorf Autistoria Hotel I don't think any amount of money thrown at the problem is going to do it. Just beat them until they read things properly.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.