[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literary Criticism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: Baudelaire.jpg (171 KB, 1536x2055) Image search: [Google]
Baudelaire.jpg
171 KB, 1536x2055
Where do you get your professional literary criticism from? Most of it is hidden behind a paywall. Are there sites that offer good literary criticism/analysis without being sparknotes tier?

I found ipl, but most of the links were removed.
>>
Why do these threads always remain unanswered
>>
Go to a national or university library. Otherwise, suck it up and pay for Jstor.
>>
>reading criticism
>2k6+6+4
>“Personally, I am a hedonistic reader; I have never read a book merely because it was ancient. I read books for the aesthetic emotions they offer me, and I ignore the commentaries and criticism.”
>>
>>7670422
/lit/ isn't about literature, it's about dank memes and shitty poems.
>>
File: 5756.jpg (116 KB, 639x640) Image search: [Google]
5756.jpg
116 KB, 639x640
Harold (knocking on death's door) Bloom
>>
>>7670422

Because no one knows the answer. All we know is sparknotes and youtube reviews.
>>
I graduated from an Ivy League institution that grants access to JSTOR to alumni. Feels good man.
>>
>>7670169
join a good library. often your membership will also hook you up with significant access to other websites with a ton of literary journals to read
>>
File: 1454856328553.jpg (48 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1454856328553.jpg
48 KB, 720x720
>>7670748
Any day now

Check out Terry Eagleton
>>
>>7670912
avoid eagleton OP he writes shitty surface level op lit crit with a heavy marxist slant

he's not bad per se but he should only be considered as an accessory to "real" criticism
>>
>>7671282
Is there anyone else then?
>>
>>7670857
Create a big torrent of the most important papers.
>>
>>7671282
Dude what a good joke
>>
>>7672116
Good way to end up like Aaron Schwartz
>>
No one has made a /lit/ criticism newsletter of some sort?

It's be shit, but less shit than what you can get for free right now.
>>
>>7670711
More like pooems, am I right friend?
>>
>>7672740
>>7670711
I take that back, /lit/ is actually about dank memes, shitty poems and shittier puns.
>>
>>7670169
I'm mentored by a published novelist at my college and getting credit for it.
>>
>>7672728
there's no demand for that sort of thing, and even less personal satisfaction in it.
>>
>>7672854
Why do literary critics exist, then?
>>
1. Go to university
2. Have access to digitized journals and journal compilers (JSTOR etc)
3.????
4. Have quality understanding of literature
>>
>>7672936
This. Fill us in on what step three is family.
>>
What about if you're willing to pay? Can anbody recommend some worthy literary magazines?
>>
No one knows? Really?
>>
>>7672950
it is a mystery to many posters here, granted
>>
>>7670169
Baudelaire get
>>
>>7670576
>implying a superior understanding of literature doesn't increase your pleasure
>>
Google Scholar can generally do a good job of getting you acquainted with whatever you're looking for. If there's something substantial you don't have access too, you can usually find it in print. If its in print, you can probably get it from your local Uni library's loan system, assuming you're in America and live near a public Uni.
>>
>>7670169
monoskop.org
>>
>>7670169
Older literary criticism in the public domain can be found on project gutenberg. If you have a kindle it might be free. There are always the penguin editions that are dirt cheap. Or you just go to a library. Not only can you get physical books there, but many libraries allow you to take out digital versions as well.
>>
>>7675134
It can go both ways. Learning to think about literature in new ways can potentially ruin cherished narratives for you. At the same time being able to think about books in a whole new manner opens another world to you, The thing I enjoy most about reading, and re-reading a book is the ability to find something I had not noticed before. Theory enhances that ability.

Or it ruins your childhood.
>>
>>7676646
How old are we talking here? I can't find anything on Moby-Dick. I must be searching incorrectly.
>>
>>7670169
university library. no other correct answer.
>>
>>7676686
Usually anything prior to 1923. For something on Moby Dick you might be able to find an article on Google Scholar. Academia.edu is good for finding literary criticism and analysis too. You have to join though, it is less a database, and more of a social network for academics. You can still find some useful stuff there.
>>
>>7676686
I'd would think there would be some contemporary criticism published on Moby Dick. I checked out the Moby Dick wiki page. It has some links to articles on the novel.
>>
You're supposed to form your own opinion by reading it
>>
>>7677234
I am suppose to make up my own philosophy from scratch as well?
>>
>>7677234
pleb

"special snowflake" detected
>>
>>7676781
>Academia.edu is good for finding literary criticism and analysis too.
Thanks, that's useful.
>>
It might just be the authors and relationships I try to look up but JSTOR doesn't usually have anything too interesting.

Go to a university library and check out essay anthologies and companions. You don't get to pick what you want really, but it's usually way more useful than the stuff on JSTOR.

You could also subscribe to journals but that's advanced level stuff.
>>
>>7677444
yes
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.