[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which book should I read next from my backlog, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: backlog.png (2 MB, 866x1288) Image search: [Google]
backlog.png
2 MB, 866x1288
Which book should I read next from my backlog, /lit/?
>>
Go on and get Lolita out of the way
>>
Crime and Punishment
>>
>>7669862
Get it out of the way? Is it bad?

>>7669865
Is Crime and Punishment an easy-ish read, or is it difficult?
>>
>>7669867
"get it out the way" as in its a book most people should be familiar with by now, its pretty good for what it is. I think it hits pretty close to home with some aspects of 4chan culture, actually.
>>
>>7669872
Ah, I see what you mean. It's the second shortest book out of the four, so it shouldn't take too long to read.
>>
who the fuck cares. read what you want.

stop making these worthless threads.
>>
>>7669872
>it hits pretty close to home with some aspects of 4chan culture
So does Catch-22
>memes

I'll just warn you now, though. TMitHC will give you a nasty case of blue balls.
>>
>>7669878
Is there a cliffhanger or something?

Also, I heard Catch-22 is humorous, is that true? I don't remember the last time I read a book was funny to be honest.
>>
>>7669880
Yeah, Catch-22 is fairly funny, although sometimes it feels as if Heller is just trying to hard.
>>
>>7669902
It's definitely funny. How funny?
>you decide

>>7669880
Um...yeah something like that, maybe worse, maybe anticlimactic even.
>maybe
>>
>>7669902
Cool, thanks anon.

>>7669909
>Um...yeah something like that, maybe worse, maybe anticlimactic even.

Oh, that doesn't sound too good.
>>
>>7669921
>>7669921
It shouldn't have sounded good when I said blue balls, anon
>>
>>7669909

I just finished MitHC recently myself and I agree with this poster.

It's not bad per se, there are genuinely good parts of the book. The prose is simple yet effective for the story it's trying to tell.

In other words, The Grasshopper lies heavy.
>>
>>7669867
Crime and punishment isnt too hard, just dont read it in the bus or the train or whatever
>>
>>7669934
Thanks for the info anon.
>>
>>7669854
Read C+P or Lolita since they are both serious reads, then do High Castle for a break since it's empty and fun, then do the other gruelling Russian book before finishing with Catch-22
>>
1. Crime and Punishment
2. Lolita
3. Catch-22
4. Drop the trash aka TMITHK
>>
>>7670907
>grueling Russian book
>lolita

Lolita is modernist American lit at its very core, and it isn't grueling at all, it flows extremely well and is a fun read.
>>
catch 22 is legitimately bad
>>
>>7670968
Why don't you say that to me on the internet in person, punk?
>>
>>7670968

Having recently reread this book for the first time since I was 17, I can say it was not as good as I remember. It is still really funny, but it seemed like Hellen must have decided consciously to throw as many wacky adverbs and adjectives into the book as possible and just kept a dictionary/thesaurus beside him for that explicit purpose. But outright bad? No.
>>
>>7671030
There's no artistry to it, the prose is non existent and it's just the same smarmy cynical joke for 400 pages. And if I'm really in the mood for goofy war hijinks I'll just read Gravity's Rainbow again.
>>
>>7669854
I just finished Crime and Punishment a few weeks ago. Very disappointed. It's just so repetitive, and none of the characters are really that sympathetic, even though Dostoevsky tries to make them so.

Haven't read Catch-22 in a decade now. Loved it then.

Read Looks back in college. 100% get yourself the annotated edition. There's so many /lit/ references, and even if the first time through you focus on the story, you'll appreciate the book more.

I was going to start TMITHC last week, but opted for Minority Report instead. All the fucks on Goodreads who loved TMITHC loved it for pretty stupid opinions, like "oooh, wouldn't it be interesting if the Axis won can you even imagine" etc. Many of them qualified with "I never normally read sci-fi (thank god)." Kinda turned me off
>>
>>7671039
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Come on man, Catch 22 is a decent novel by any standard.
>>
>>7669854
I read Catch 22 in 3 days.
It was really funny and I couldn't put it down.

That would be my suggestion
>>
>>7671066
Same. When I was finished I was depressed by the thought of reading something that was not Catch-22
>>
>>7671049
Damn autocorrect. Looks was Lolita.
>>
>>7669854
I would do it like this:
>The Man in the High Castle
>Crime and Punishment
>Catch 22
>Lolita
>>
>>7670907
>>7670927
>>7671066
>>7671489

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, looks like it'll be Crime and Punishment that I'll be reading first.
>>
Crime and punishment off course
>>
>>7669880
Catch-22 gives a good amount of chuckles. Even on the more violent scenes/deaths there were times I just had to laugh
>>
>>7671039
>nothing but the same joke for 400 pages
Did you read the fucking book at all? Half of the point is the slow shift in tone from dicking around trying to skirt around combat to shit going south with sudden deaths, Milo's transformation into a soulless machine, rape, and civilian murder
You sound like you read three chapters and decided it wasn't intellectual enough for you
>>
>>7670968
nice maymay xD
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.