[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: your favourite chapter/scene from your favourite book >the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: gaahl intent staring.jpg (140 KB, 1042x755) Image search: [Google]
gaahl intent staring.jpg
140 KB, 1042x755
ITT: your favourite chapter/scene from your favourite book

>the part where Tobin tells the kid about their previous encounters with the judge.
>>
File: The Fugue.png (2 MB, 1920x2916) Image search: [Google]
The Fugue.png
2 MB, 1920x2916
>>7669472
Probably my favorite part of The Tunnel is when Kohler explains his attempt to get a dog as a child.
>>
File: picture-146779.png (1 MB, 1044x785) Image search: [Google]
picture-146779.png
1 MB, 1044x785
From Suttree, Gene Harrogate describing why he is known as the Midnight Melon Mounter.
>>
>>7669714
Or MOONLIGHT Melon Mounter, it's been so long I can't remember.
>>
Book of the New Sun, Hethor's first monologue
>“M-m-master, when I was on the Quasar I had a paracoita, a doll, you see, a genicon, so beautiful with her great pupils as dark as wells, her i-irises purple like asters or pansies blooming in summer, Master, whole beds of them, I thought, had b-been gathered to make those eyes, that flesh that always felt sun-warmed. Wh-wh-where is she now, my own scopolagna, my poppet? Let h-h-hooks be buried in the hands that took her! Crush them, Master, beneath stones. Where has she gone from the lemon-wood box I made for her, where she never slept at all, for she lay with me all night, not in the box, the lemon-wood box where she waited all day, watch-and-watch, Master, smiling when I laid her in so she might smile when I drew her out. How soft her hands were, her little hands. Like d-d-doves. She might have flown with them about the cabin had she not chosen instead to lie with me. W-w-wind their guts about your w-windlass, stuff their eyes into their mouths. Unman them, shave them clean below so their doxies may not know them, their lemans may rebuke them, leave them to the brazen laughter of the brazen mouths of st-st-strumpets. Work your will upon those guilty. Where was their mercy on the innocent? When did they tremble, when weep? What kind of men could do as they have done—thieves, false friends, betrayers, bad shipmates, no shipmates, murderers and kidnappers. W-without you, where are their nightmares, where are their restitutions, so long promised? Where are their chains, fetters, manacles, and cangues? Where are their abacinations, that shall leave them blind? Where are the defenestrations that shall break their bones, where is the estrapade that shall grind their joints? Where is she, the beloved whom I lost?"
>>
>>7669472
The part of The Cannibal where animals and patients break out of the insane asylum and a bunch of old ladies come to beat them into submission.
>>
It's cliche, but THAT sentence in Blood Meridian, about the oncoming indian attack
>>
>>7669751
nope, change my mind, its the ending. "and he is dancing, dancing."
>>
>>7669753
He says that he will never use punctuation.
>>
>>7669537
This strikes me as a rather insane tirade. Is it meant to be that way?
>>
>>7669751
When I first read that passage I had to read over it like 10 times just to get it out of my system. that whole book is just start-to-finish pure chills.
>>
That sentence in Krasznahorkai's El ultimo lobo.
>>
House of leaves. The letters from his mom.
>>
>>7669472
les mis

from my heart probably the part in the convent was my favorite.
from my head, the struggles of faith (the one with the Savoyard's coin and the journey to the process).
at the third reading I've found really amazing even the bishop's incipit.
>>
Byron the immortal ligh bub in Gravity's Rainbow, it's genius and based on a true story: http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/10/07/planned-obsolescence/
>>
>>7669784
Ehh. Kohler is off his rocker, but this section is so repetitive because Gass wrote it to be like a musical fugue.
>>
>>7669751
quote please
>>
>>7669472
>Not naming the book
>Talking about Blood Merdian as if it's a given that everyone has read it
>being this much of a pretentious fucking arsehole

Come on mate, you started the fucking thread. Set a precedent that people should name the fucking books they're wanting to discuss. I know it's a strange concept but get your fucking head on it. Cunt.
>>
Ending of Moby Dick. I thought this "crossing all points together" is best and easiest way to make profound an mind-blowing novels
>>
Funeral scene at the the of The Brothers Karamazov. Cried like a bitch.
>>
Bloom buying food from the street vendor to feed the seagulls on the river - actually no - i like the whole bit between the front and back cover best
>>
>>7670945
I like you.
>>
>>7670990
>>7670993

off to /r/books with your redshit terminology please
>>
>>7671003
Ahhh no getting past you I see - you've nailed me down as a /r/edditor immediately. Well done you you clever sleuth you (You).
>>
>>7669721
It's moonlight.

My two favourite passages from the same novel are Suttrees sons funeral and the typhoid fever hallucinations
>>
>>7670860
"A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

Oh my god said the sergeant."
>>
>>7669472
probably pretty pleb, but the part in Catcher in the Rye when Holden is in a really weird flow by the end of the book, they go for a walk with Phoebe and she gets on the carrousel.
I loved that whole sequence.
>>
File: st_severian.png (362 KB, 492x900) Image search: [Google]
st_severian.png
362 KB, 492x900
New Sun spoilers

Severian visiting drowned Nessus and placing his skull inside his mausoleum.
>>
>>7672665
which book did that happen in?
>>
Norwegian Wood when it announces Naoko's death. "as natural as rain"
>>
>>7672698
Why were all the female characters promiscuous and stupid?
>>
>>7672749
>Why were the female characters like real females?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.