[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you didn't grow up in Boston and/or have never been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1366333989676.png (44 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
1366333989676.png
44 KB, 640x560
>tfw you didn't grow up in Boston and/or have never been to Boston
>you will never appreciate Infinite Jest as much as someone who has lived there

It must make the book so much better to know all the references to the city
>>
its more able the people I find and you can find relate able people anywhere
>>
I live in Arizona, so that's something.
>>
>ywn be american
>>
File: 8h.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
8h.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>>7669066
I don't fucking understand
>>
>>7669066
>>7669087
I think he means that it's about the people more (who are relateable to anyone) which is obviously true but that doesn't mean the Boston references wouldn't be enjoyable to someone who would get them without the internet.
>>
>>7669087
>>7669087
its more about the people I find. You can find people like that anywhere which makes the book easy to relate to regardless of location
>>
>you will never walk around Dublin visiting all the places from ulysses, because there's really no other justification to spend money on a trip to Ireland
>>
>>7669085
>ywn be a Russian who lived through both Imperial Russia and early Soviet Russia

this is truly the coldest and darkest
>>
>>7669118
>tfw visiting my relatives in Ireland
>uncle is an armchair philosopher (he's a high school teacher lel)
>literally can not walk past a place that featured in Ulysses without him mentioning it
>has to constantly make sure everyone knows he's read Ulysses
Dublin has lots of nice pubs and very friendly people, though. Would recommend spending a few days there if you're visiting the British Isles.
>>
>>7669126
>>7669118
Y'all stupid, of all the international trips I've taken the one I took to Ireland was my favorite. Maybe learn to appreciate a wider range of things that pubs yeah?
>>
>>7669024

I read an account of someone who discussed the book with an employee at the drug treatment facility on which Ennet House is based, and the employee had no idea about the book or any thoughts about it. So I'm ahead of at least that Bostonian.
>>
Has anyone reading this ever celebrated Bloomsday in Dublin?
>>
>>7669177
I was in Dublin on bloomsday but didn't really participate per se, it didn't seem like there was a ton going and as if it was mostly confined to one area
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.