[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learned Optimism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 51A0VSAAMRL.jpg (42 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
51A0VSAAMRL.jpg
42 KB, 302x475
Has anyone read this book? I've read recently that I suffer from learned hopelessness, and was hoping that this book might change my hopeless attitude. Do you think these books are generally bullshit?
>>
bump cause im also interested
>>
>>7667756
Vaulted me out of my funk... so, fellow moderate pessimists, go buy this book.
>>
>>7667756
Optimists are bad people and should only be allowed to live because of how difficult and costly it would be to kill them all.
>>
>>7667756
>Do you think these books are generally bullshit?
Yes.
>>
I'm surprised no one has read it. It's been around for years and is pretty popular.
>>
>>7667756
>>7668337
>>7668339
>>7668346
>>7668363
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7668457
It's actually the opposite of >>>/r9k/. Robots like to wallow in self-pity. I'm looking for ways to get out of this lifelong funk and be comfortable with myself for once.
>>
>>7668467
>>>/adv/
>>
>>7667756
OP, there's a PDF available on a well known Russian e-books database. Why don't you read the book for yourself and let the rest of us know how you liked it?
>>
op u want a good book to give u an attitude adjustment? get Maximum Achievement by Brian Tracy. he wrote a lot of self-help shit of varying quality from huckstery salesman techniques and "millionaire secrets" type shit, to middling career advice for climbing bureaucracies, to books like Maximum Achievement...he takes a lot of his shit from the greeks, but since he's trying to help plebs of various education levels get their shit together he doesn't spam you with academic showboating, just tells you the ideas you need to stop being a sad neet, u can get the audiobook (read by author) on any torrent tracker
>>
>>7668917
>Russian e-books database

I'm going to have to look for that site.

Anyway, I got it out of my college's library today, so I'll read a little of it tonight.
>>
Will this help me with my extreme fear (and expectation) of failure?
>>
>>7669874
It's pretty good so far. I'm about 20 pages in.
>>
Just read the Stoics, guys.
You don't have to agree with everything, but it can really help you stay on your feet when facing bad things. It's not easy of course, but there is comfort in it.
>>
> I've read recently that I suffer from learned hopelessness

you shouldnt believe everything Oprah tells you champ
>>
Not the OP, but I got a pdf of this book out of curiosity after this thread popped up.

I'm nearly 50 pages in at this point, and I do have to say this is the first self-help book (granted, I haven't read much) I've read where

1. I didn't feel talked down to
and
2. I didn't feel that it was overly contaminated by capitalist ideology
>>
>>7670538
Seneca - Letters
Aurelius - Meditations

Then read Beyond Good and Evil and realize that Nietzsche put Stoics ethics on suicide watch.

>naturalism BTFO
>>
>>7668467
That is what /lit/erature is for. Self help is really a temporary fix for a faulty world view, like targeting the problem not the source.

Read lit for that. Respect yourself, enjoy the world, take none of it seriously. That is the world view that all the best literature hints at.
>>
>>7669874
Nope, it will sooth it and mollycoddle it, until you know how to perfectly insulate yourself.

The only way to cure your fear is to fail spectacularly and repeatedly until you realise how much healthier it is for your intelligence.
>>
>>7667756
Seligman is a respected psychologist. The term usually linked to him is learned helplessness, not hopelessness, so that's new to me. Will check this book out.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.