[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /lit/ approve of Sylvia Plath?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: sylvia.jpg (133 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
sylvia.jpg
133 KB, 1200x1200
Does /lit/ approve of Sylvia Plath?
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 900x900
>>
the /lit/ hivemind probably rejects her because she's a woman. i'm not too familiar with her work but i thought The Bell Jar was pretty good, in a way. i have had a few close friends with depression and it really captured the illogical nature of it.
>>
i read the bell jar and found it pretty sincere. disregard her tumblr fans.
>>
What about Ann Patchett? Now that we're on the subject of female authors.
>>
>>7667009
>>7667009

Sources say she had a spastic colon and Ted Hughes would often wait at night in bed, mouth up to her anus, and wait until he heard a whine from her bare backside before he dipped his tongue into her, coated his tongue in her rich, slimy poop, and used it to paint her back with slogans like "I am, I am, I am".
>>
Who cares, make your own opinions. That's what is wrong with this fucking board.
>>
Well, she's got the Dan Schneider seal of approval, so yeah

http://youtu.be/gFbm0OlfutI

Im surprised /lit/ has not made this guy a meme yet.
>>
Plath disappoints me in the way that every woman who almost gets uplifted but then falls back into the primeval muck of her own vagina disappoints me. She's like someone took a cow who was beaten by its master and kept as a slave for milk on a farm, blasted it with a lightning bolt of consciousness, let it ferment into self-consciousness, and then all the cow did was "Wow! I see things so clearly now! I was mistaken to graze on this side of the field. That side is much better."

Fucking stupid boring bitch. She had all the tools to transcend the meanness of her gender and she did jack and shit with them. I have more respect for someone who can love an idiot than someone who can love rotting precocity.
>>
I'd like to stick something in her oven nahmsayin
>>
I've heard of her offline, and they sell her books a Barnes and Noble, so no.
>>
>>7667087

Sources say she had a spastic colon and Ted Hughes would often wait at night in bed, mouth up to her anus, and wait until he heard a whine from her bare backside before he dipped his tongue into her, coated his tongue in her rich, slimy poop, and used it to paint her back with slogans like "I am, I am, I am".
>>
she looks just like Ludwig on that photo.
>>
>>7667110
Om nat o topoL
>>
She's great. Unfortunately plebs & Tumblrinas are all over her & basically have been since her death. She would of despised them I sure. If you can scrape all the crap off, she's very good, brilliant even. The Arial poems are good. Also Ted Hughes Crow is excellent. They were two poets actually good at reading their own poetry. However I do agree that overall they're both entry level, but they're good entry level. The Birthday Letters is also good. Read Ariel, Crow & then Birthday Letters & move on. Never talk to anyone that says they like them or studied them at school.
>>
>>7667026
Who is this cum intellectual
>>
File: typeface-arial.gif (13 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
typeface-arial.gif
13 KB, 432x288
>>7667204
>Arial poems
>>
>>7667130
>>7667130
you can search the archive for Sylvia threads(well the archive is dead atm, but you still could some time ago) and in every thread with this pic there's my post on top with that comment.

Are you the new me?

Are you me from the future?
>>
>>7667068
>Dan Schneider
I loved his magnum opus "Drake and Josh"
>>
>>7667009
>Sources say she had a spastic colon and Ted Hughes would often wait at night in bed, mouth up to her anus, and wait until he heard a whine from her bare backside before he dipped his tongue into her, coated his tongue in her rich, slimy poop, and used it to paint her back with slogans like "I am, I am, I am".
>>
File: image.jpg (282 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
282 KB, 1280x960
HAHAHA HOLY SHIT
It's true.

I went to Tumblr and searched for The Bell Jar

I'm having a laff
>>
File: harold-bloom.jpg (27 KB, 391x390) Image search: [Google]
harold-bloom.jpg
27 KB, 391x390
>>7667009

>The infamous literary critic Harold Bloom, for example, called Plath "an absurdly bad and hysterical verse writer." In his introduction to Modern Critical Views on Sylvia Plath, Bloom compares Plath to another lesser-known female poet "whose tragic early death gave her a certain glamour for a time."
>Describing some of her poems as a "tantrum," he ascribes her fame primarily to the growing "School of Resentment' (i.e. feminism--a school in which he also places such contemporaries as Adrienne Rich whose work he treats with equal condescension and disdain).

BTFO
>>
>be potentially talented whore
>write poems about being a whore instead of honing talent
>be a whore
>kill yourself to whore for attention
>be remembered mostly for being a whore
>no one cares about your underdeveloped babby talent

WOMEN

FUCKING

DESTROYED
>>
>>7667714

well anyone who actually reads enough poetry would agree that this is a completely uncontroversial statement

Plath is garbo
>>
new ted hughes biography is fantastic btw
>>
>>7667754
>garbo
?
>>
She's the realest nigga and I always respected her because she's the only woman I know of who committed suicide simply because she wanted out, not because she wanted attention. It takes some serious fucking balls to stick your head in an oven and stay there until you sleep forever.
>>
File: funny%20gato.gif (2 MB, 326x183) Image search: [Google]
funny%20gato.gif
2 MB, 326x183
>>7667790

>>
>>7667795
Pretty weak, kiddo. Consider withholding your shitty prose until you at least finish your bachelor's.
>>
>>7667009
I've never read anything by her, but she seems like a dfw-tier meme for teenage girls and young women, reputation-wise.
>>
>>7667802

Sometimes Ted Hughes would then take pictures of her bare backside slapped with an abstract, expressionistic, impressionistic, poetic billboard of psuedopoetic apothegms and distribute these to his mistresses -- he would call her his "roost goose".[20] The Plath estate has come out more recently in favor of the story's untruth.[22][23][bias?] According to her daughter's ex-lover, Plath would actually paint the backside of Hughes; in fact, he would often come into the room with a plastic glove tied around his scrotum, cutting off circulation to his testicles, and would tell Plath to "rub my boy breadbasket like a German in Auschwitz," [30][33][34][35][37]. This is thought to have led to Plath's suicide.
>>
>>7667714
>implying Bloom is always worthy to take seriously
Bloom's comments of some writers remind me of Adorno's commentary on jazz music. Both did some serious work, but other things they say are simply bullshit sustained by nothing except their reputation.
Some people say that literary critics are failed writers and often they have a point in saying that. Bloom hideous book harmed to some extent my opinion of his judgments.
>>
>>7667779
you know what it means, my obtuse friend
>>
>>7667961
Wrong.
>>
her poetry was quite good but nothing remarkable, she only has fame because of her relationship with hughes (who was a considerably better poet) and her suicide
>>
>>7667855
>A GNOSTIC FANTASY
>2.8/5 on Goodreads
>>
threads like this remind me why i hate this board bunch of 19 year olds slandering great poetry
>>
File: 1422411962966.jpg (56 KB, 468x700) Image search: [Google]
1422411962966.jpg
56 KB, 468x700
>>
File: 2015-03-21-EZ-Bake.png (205 KB, 940x683) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-21-EZ-Bake.png
205 KB, 940x683
>>
>>7668152
>>7668223
ayyy lmao.
>>
>>7668081
>great
Let's not use this so flippantly my chum.
>>
>>7668152
what movie is this
>>
>>7667205
>She reads John Green
>>
>>7667817
2/12971509876501347580 no "and but so" apply urself SEE ME!!!!!!!!! after class
>>
I am reading her unabridged journals atm. They are so fascinating to me. Not to be cliche but I have honestly never read anything that hits so close to home as her writings. I am about half way through and I just want to devour the rest. I originally began reading Ted Hughes' heavily abridged version, and find it hilarious to see stuff her [omitted]. I might be in love with her.

>>7668244
i think that's Gilmore Girls
>>
>>7668512
can tell you're female
>>
>>7668571

Was thinking this as I read that post.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.