[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what are the best versions of In Search of Lost Time? That
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: proust.jpg (259 KB, 1200x684) Image search: [Google]
proust.jpg
259 KB, 1200x684
So what are the best versions of In Search of Lost Time? That is, which is the best French edition as well as which is the best English translation?
>>
File: 1452847036885.jpg (59 KB, 395x401) Image search: [Google]
1452847036885.jpg
59 KB, 395x401
>reading translations
>>
>>7666165
suffocating levels of smugness
>>
There is basically only MacScottcrief or whatever. Lydia wrote a good Swanns Way though
>>
>>7666165
I asked for translations and the original French, knowing the novels have been revised about as much as Ulysses
>>
Davis is shit. Avoid. The Yale edition is good.
>>
>>7666174
So I would guess the Vintage paperbacks of Terence Kilmartin's revision of Scottcrief's are good then? They look more aesthetically pleasing than the Modern Library versions, and certainly more than the Penguin ones. The Yale edition I can't imagine being finished until about 2030, and each volume costs way more than I'd like to pay
>>
Penguin's translation of Scott Moncrieff was good, imho
>>
>>7666165
I'm never sure if you guys are joking or you seriously think somebody should spend years of learning that atrocity that is called the French language just to enjoy maybe a dozen works of art.

Between French and German I picked German. Between French and Spanish I picked Spanish. Third time I'd pick Italian or Russian.
>>
>>7666689
French was the language of court in most of the west when you needed a patron to get published. Not learning it cuts out all but peasant romances.
>>
>>7666177
>knowing the novels have been revised about as much as Ulysses
... please stop, you haven't even bothered checking french versions, otherwise you wouldn't say that.

Anyway, ofc your answer is gallimard.
>>
File: proust.jpg (115 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
proust.jpg
115 KB, 700x525
>>7666159
>best French edition
Pléiade
>>
>>7666805
Except those are fucking ugly
Collection blanche master race
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.