[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to find an accurate order (not necessarily chronological)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 4
File: LOVEBLAR.jpg (62 KB, 336x588) Image search: [Google]
LOVEBLAR.jpg
62 KB, 336x588
I'm trying to find an accurate order (not necessarily chronological) to read the Arthurian Legend (I'm complete new to this), what would you recommend?
>>
File: Spamalot-11.jpg (619 KB, 2100x1106) Image search: [Google]
Spamalot-11.jpg
619 KB, 2100x1106
>>7665732
Just save yourself some time and listen to the original Broadway cast recording of Spamalot.
>>
File: 81LXWhCnyiL.jpg (390 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
81LXWhCnyiL.jpg
390 KB, 2000x2000
>>7665743
Read something else and save this for bathroom/beach reading
>>
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight -> Le Morte D'Arthur -> De Troye's Arthurian Romances.

I also liked the Once and Future King, a smart YA retelling of Le Morte, the 15th or 16th century British novel that makes up the bulk of Arthurian legend around today. It was started in 1939 and finished in the 50s. It's quite good, but the last book went out the window a bit.
>>
File: 1446457234719.jpg (40 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1446457234719.jpg
40 KB, 704x480
Start with History of the Kings of England by Geoffrey of Monmouth. Next up read Tristan and Iseult followed the Marie de France's lais Chevrefoil and Lanval. Next up is the Lancelot-Grail cycle. Also consider Erec and Enide if you really want to. You now have the basics.

Now comes character collections.
If you want more Lancelot, the chaddiest knight, read Knight of the Cart by Chretien de Troye

If you want Gawain, the objectively best knight, go for Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and The Marriage of Sir Gawain. Both are great.

For more Merlin you'll want The Prose Merlin, and Mary Stewart's Merlin series isn't bad.

To see some badass Arthur read Culwich and Olwen.

Saga of the Mantle is great for a laugh if you want to see the Round Table get mega cucked

Once you've read all of those read Malory's Morte D'Arthur to see all the stories brought together into one world. Sorry in advance if you're a Gawain fan, Malory hates his guts

For good modern stuff you have Once and Future King, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mary Stewart's series as mentioned, and Mists of Avalon if that's your thing
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.