[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
long sentences, difficult prose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: folder_1.jpg (606 KB, 3184x726) Image search: [Google]
folder_1.jpg
606 KB, 3184x726
Fans of this type of prose, whose works do you like? I'm partial to Krasznahorkai, Bernhard, Sebald, Bolaño in By Night in Chile. Who am I forgetting or not yet aware of? Help me out
>>
kafka, beckett, then, when you've finished everything those two wrote, go ahead and kill yourself :-)
>>
>>7665373
kek
read george eliot, de Quincey, Browning, and then kill urself.
>>
listen guys—you're all retarded
>>
>>7665171
pinchon,daddis,wallays
>>
>>7665430
ya if u haven't read big daddy pynch, dfw, gaddis and gass u don't deserve to have eyes
>>
>>7665445
gass sucks nothing but a fat, ugly, pretentious windbag
>>
Faulkner
>>
>>7665494
OP here, I really liked Light in August but don't know which Faulkner to read next; I guess I am mostly looking at this point for books with dense interiority (like the authors I mentioned). Thank you for your legitimate response!
>>
>>7665583
gtfo new sincerity fag
>>
>>7665583
My recommendation for first-time Faulkner is:

(1) A Rose for Emily, (2) Light in August, (3/4) The Sound and the Fury / As I Lay Dying, (5) Absalom, Absalom!. Take your time with S&F and Absalom. The more you put into Faulkner, the more you get out.

Once you've powered through the essential Faulkner, you can move on to his more pulpy or obscure material. Start with Pylon and Go Down Moses. I also read a collection of parodies and pastiches of his work called The Best of Bad Faulkner that was a pretty entertaining airplane read.
>>
>>7665454
>widely acclaimed throughout academia and recognized as one of the most important writers of the last century
>sucks
Just come out and say it: you haven't read him; you saw him posted a lot, noticed all the good things said about him, and, because you think shitting on authors you haven't read or don't understand makes you well-read, decided to spout baseless claims about him every time his name comes up. That's it, right? You haven't read him. Well, allow me to explain the greatness of Gass, why, despite the things people say about him, he is still underrated and underappreciated.

For one, of all of his contemporaries--Gaddis and Hawkes being two of them--he possesses the greatest depth. For example, look at The Tunnel: throughout the entire text, he addresses a great deal of philosophy and philosophical problems like the Sorites paradox.

For two, his prose is among the most beautiful and complex ever written: he weaves and sentences of unmatched skill; he composes sections like music, pays attention to the individual sounds of the words, and even goes so far as to create a fugue with language; and he considers the connotations and impact of each word, and, like Flaubert, searches endlessly for the perfect word to use.

All in all, he is an immensely important writer, and soon--in the next 20 to 30 years--he will be recognized as the greatest post-war writer.
>>
>>7665171
In French there's Maurice Blanchot and Julien Gracq (I'm sure you already know about Proust).
>>
kant.
>>
pic related by Gerald Murnane
>>
Pynchon of course.
>>
>>7665171
Infinite Jest
>>
>>7665676
there's been so much Gassposting on /lit/ recently.

Is it all one person?

Is there a meme I'm not a part of?

Can Gass really be this good?

I may as well have to read the Tunnel to find out for myself.
>>
>>7668572
/lit/ goes through cycles of minor meme authors but the meme trilogy will always be on top
>>
Woolf
>>
Joseph McElroy

his 1200 page book Women and Men is a maze of winding expanding and contracting sentences, sentences that trace the creases of the brain as they fold moment by moment, the different cadences he finds for the long sentence is remarkable.

But if you think he's 'brainy' think again; at the heart of his books there's always a family, always a glimpse of the wider relations we set in motion through our private moments.

His recent novels, Actress in the House and Cannonball do have these sentences to, and are more available to buy. Lookout Cartridge has some amazing sentences.

If you want
>>
>>7668572
No, yes, and yes. Though >>7670069 has a point, the sheer amount of discussion to be had about The Tunnel puts on the level of the meme trilogy. In fact, the only book in the meme trilogy that possibly surpasses it is Ulysses, but that is a hard "possibly."
>>
>>7670841
This guy knows where it's at.
>>
Check out The Autumn of the Patriarch by Gabriel García Marquez.
>>
Marcel Proust
>>
Go read some hideous Subordinate Clause Circuses of the Victorian era if you like that shit

Paragraph-length "look how erudite I am, you can bet I mastered Latin in school" clusterfucks
>>
>>7665583
just read the modernists, f.am. read also all vargas llosa's novels from the 60s
>>
Late period Henry James.

Have fun.
>>
>>7665171
>fan of long sentences
>in languages he can't even understand
You're like a white girl who chases black dick
>>
Kafka & Borges
>>
my boy faulkner

sometimes roth, maybe
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.