[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Post Your Favorite Book Thread a need new books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 11
File: 17343.jpg (35 KB, 315x475) Image search: [Google]
17343.jpg
35 KB, 315x475
A Post Your Favorite Book Thread

a need new books
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 176x268) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 176x268
>>
File: 41zs0ocj5gL.jpg (19 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
41zs0ocj5gL.jpg
19 KB, 325x500
>>7665011
Toss up between pic related and The Brothers Karamazov.
>>
>>7665013
I'd heard a lot about this one. Added to the list
>>
>>7665027
Wise decision.
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 303x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 303x475
Not the best book ever written but, whatever
>>
File: 41fBdAP7RpL._SY355_.jpg (13 KB, 231x355) Image search: [Google]
41fBdAP7RpL._SY355_.jpg
13 KB, 231x355
>>
>>7665231
I've thinking in reading this one for a while, how is it?
>>
>>7665255
Well, it's my favorite book.

I actually like it better than Moby Dick, but that's just my opinion. It is certainly different.
>>
>>7665025
I bought this one a few days ago. Really excited to read it.
>>
>>7665231
“Without turning, the pharmacist answered that he liked books like The Metamorphosis, Bartleby, A Simple Heart, A Christmas Carol. And then he said that he was reading Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's. Leaving aside the fact that A Simple Heart and A Christmas Carol were stories, not books, there was something revelatory about the taste of this bookish young pharmacist, who ... clearly and inarguably preferred minor works to major ones. He chose The Metamorphosis over The Trial, he chose Bartleby over Moby Dick, he chose A Simple Heart over Bouvard and Pecouchet, and A Christmas Carol over A Tale of Two Cities or The Pickwick Papers. What a sad paradox, thought Amalfitano. Now even bookish pharmacists are afraid to take on the great, imperfect, torrential works, books that blaze a path into the unknown. They choose the perfect exercises of the great masters. Or what amounts to the same thing: they want to watch the great masters spar, but they have no interest in real combat, when the great masters struggle against that something, that something that terrifies us all, that something that cows us and spurs us on, amid blood and mortal wounds and stench.”
>>
>>7665526
?
>>
>>7665025
Its this kind of suggestion that keeps me coming back to this shithole year after year.
>>
>>7665011
Top 5, Sandalwood Death by Mo Yan is also good.
>>
>>7665011
I like the "favorite lesser known works" pattern here, please continue.
>>
File: images.jpg (25 KB, 379x588) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
25 KB, 379x588
>>
>>7665499
You will enjoy it. I always come back to it.
It's a very humbling tale, and reading it helped me in making sense of my own sufferings.

1 Peter 4:13
But if you partake of the sufferings of Christ, rejoice that when his glory shall be revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.

Important themes
Via Wiki:

"William Cavanaugh refers to the novel's "deep moral ambiguity" due to the depiction of a God who "has chosen not to eliminate suffering, but to suffer with humanity."

"Endō, in his book A Life of Jesus, states that Japanese culture identifies with the "one who 'suffers with us' and who 'allows for our weakness....with this fact always in mind, I tried not so much to depict God in the father-image that tends to characterize Christianity, but rather to depict the kind-hearted maternal aspect of God revealed to us in the personality of Jesus."
>>
>>7665215
It's good, but probably Dick's worst book.
>>
File: marianamonicadickens.jpg (29 KB, 281x400) Image search: [Google]
marianamonicadickens.jpg
29 KB, 281x400
probably my fav comfiest book.
>>
Black Skin White Mask-Frantz Fanon
>>
tfw Catcher in the Rye is my favourite book
>>
>>7666087
The thread is going great, please abstent from ruining with your plebness thank you.
>>
>>7665705
Surprised to see this here, good for you anon
>>
I think today I'd say The Recognitions, but I haven't read fiction for a while now.
>>
File: image.jpg (216 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216 KB, 750x1000
>>7665011
>>
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.