[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who do you think would win in a fight, Plato or Hemingway?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1410550865522.jpg (209 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
1410550865522.jpg
209 KB, 569x802
Who do you think would win in a fight, Plato or Hemingway?
>>
>>7664982
Better question... If Machiavelli fought Homer, who would win?
>>
Plato. Hemmingway only ever won a fight against Wallace Stevens who was nearly 60 years old at the time of the fight.
Joyce would rile up people at the pub just to see people kick Ernies's ass.
>>
>>7664992
Considering The Prince was satire that was written so that Machiavelli didn't get his shit permanently kicked in, I'd say Homer.
>>
Plato (presumably) actually trained to wrestle, Hemingway was just a drunken brawler so I'd place my starting bet on the Greek.
>>
>>7664982
Plato.
Wrestlers always beat boxers
>>7664992
Homer.
Machiavelli seems like a pussy.
>>
Plato because Hemingway, much like any other "macho alpha" with classic overcompensation, would probably just run away like a pussy.
>>
>>7664992
Machiavelli could probably beat up an old blind guy
>>
OP here.
So is there any writer that could possibly beat Plato?
>>
>>7665022
yeah, nietzsche would just give him syphilis
>>
>>7665022
Chaucer imo
>>
>>7664982
I'm going to go with the guy who, despite being the father of western philosophy, was such a good wrestler that we know him by his stage name.
>>
>>7664982

Unless Hemingway had a gun.
>>
>>7665004

underrated post
>>
>>7665022
Didn't Charlie Bronson, the famous prisoner, write several books? I think he could probably take Plato.

It's no sure thing, though. You have to understand that Greek wrestling is not like modern wrestling. Greek wrestlers were fucking mean and vicious. They gouged out eyes and aimed for the balls. Plato is probably the toughest bastard ever to contribute to philosophy.
>>
>>7665022
Checked. Realistically, the philosopher Nichiren might've been able to take on Plato.
>>
>>7665383
>aimed for balls
No, that was off limits.
>>
>>7664982
It a well known fact that men have got softer every generation since the Greeks. Plato would destroy. Even a malnourished Diogenes would whip any modern man.
>>
>>7665000
>Prince was satire
Stop this meme
>>
>>7665022
SOCRATES

Yeah, I know he isn't a writer, but I just like the idea of Socrates fucking up Plato. Apparently Socrates was a fucking freak and climbed mountains in bare feet.
>>
>>7665000
The Prince was not satire you fucking pseud. That theory was destroyed
>>
>>7665531
By you? You say it with such conviction.
>>
>>7665528
>socrates
>not a writer
He wrote all of Euripedes plays.
>>
Surprised this thread lost traction.
>>
>>7665537
Have you ever actually read it? He's describing how Italian and European leaders successfully ruled. He was a staunch republican all his life. He fucking worked in a Medici-less Florentine republic until they got the papacy and forced themselves back in
>>
I too would enjoy watching a flip flop between the two.
>>
>>7666060
Thats doesn't mean he didn't believe in what he was saying, you can even see the Machiavellian undertones in his Republic works. I more accurate view would be "I don't want Florence to be ruled by a monarch, but if it had too, then this is how he should do it"
>>
>>7665022
Thomas Mallory.
Absolute madman would legitimately rape him.
>>
Plato. He was a wrestler, bro.
>>
>>7664982
The broad one was MMA tier, Hemingway was a fat depressed drunk.
>>
>>7666060
>he
Whoa whoa nobody said anything about authorial intent. What Mach intended really isn't all that relevant here.
>>
>>7666112
actually satire is necessarily intentional
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.