[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /lit/izens, I am curious about your opinions on who are the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 15bargue.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1409) Image search: [Google]
15bargue.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1409
So /lit/izens, I am curious about your opinions on who are the most poetic hip hop lyricists.

I am asking on /lit/ to see who has the best technical ability in writing rhymes, and /mu/ wouldn't be the best place to ask about poetic capability.
>>
>>7664236
I haven't heard any hip hop with any poetic merit.
They can make some rhymes, but that alone does not make poetry.
>>
>>7664266
Not the question. I didn't ask if hip hop had any poetic merit, I asked which hip hop performers had the most poetic lyrics. Obviously their rhymes are not going to be on par with poets like Keats or Poe, or many popular poets in literary circles. I was just curious who /lit/ thought had the most skill.
>>
eminem desu

"If I can't batter the women, how the fuck am I supposed to bake them a cake then?"

GOAT
>>
I like Wu Tang Clan and MF Doom. But I'd call them rappers rather than poets
>>
>>7664236

kendrick lamar: good kid maad city/to pimp a butterfly. him and death grips is the only hip hop acts worth listening desu thay are actually experimenting in every song and push boundries instead of being a bland and mediocre
>>
File: 007.jpg (19 KB, 317x321) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
19 KB, 317x321
>>7664352
>>
Biggie is probably the best rapper I've ever heard. Dude knew how to tell a story.
His flow and delivery were top notch.

Eminem is clever with his lyrics and delivery, but a lot of his subject matter leaves something to be desired. I will admit I bump Rap God more than a reasonable person should.

>>7664352
Shithony Postano here :^)
>I agree with you about Death Grips
Kendrick is good but I haven't heard enough to really judge.
>>
>>7664376

Biggie, J Cole, MF Doom, that guy from The Streets. These are a few of my favorite things
>>
File: SLY7wjWH.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
SLY7wjWH.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>7664236
early nas, mf doom, andre 3k, that's probably it.

kendrick had his moments on gkmc but hes very inconsistent overall.
>>
>>7664352
I agree about Death Grips, but Kendrick is disgustingly overrated.
>>
MF Doom is definitely a contender for the best lyricist in the game.
https://www.youtube.c/watch?v=rpaonSDPw7Y
>>
>>7664236
/mu/ wouldn't be the best place to ask anyone about anything. Truly awful place.

Anyway, Aesop Rock imo
>>
I've dicussed this on here before and people just say ''bait'' hur duur I bet you only listen to mainstream rap etc etc... People don't like the answer. I've listened to thousands of hip-hop records and have been impressed maybe once or twice.

Rappers are like dunce children when it comes to ''poetic capability.''
They use metaphor and similie with no subtly at all and are just shit poets to be completely honest with you.
The only people who are impressed by rappers for being ''poets,'' think that ryhming two or three words that are longer than four letters long means they're some kind of poetic genius.

Read any fucking masterful poet and then read lyrics to any rap song, ever. They can't compete. Rap can't even compete to other genres of music let alone compete with actual writers.

The amount of times I've heard people saying rappers are ''genius''... Now when I hear it, I genuinely get abit annoyed. It's like, what? You're telling me some guy who sings ''I sent dis bish a picture of ma dick'' can compete with someone who spent forty or fifty fucking years writing one single masterpiece ''poem'' while completely blind, in poverty etc etc. It's just fucking silly. Sick of hearing it now.
>>
>>7664849
hopped out the motherfucking bed, hopped in the motherfucking coup

skrrrrrrr
>>
>>7664851
Kek
I prefer old school memphis shit if i'm gonna listen to it at all but yeah, rappers can't compete desu
>>
>>7664849
>who are the most poetic hip hop lyricists
>who has the best technical ability in writing rhymes
where do you see the question of "can they compete"?
if i ask which kid in the school has the best painting skills i want an answer and not a competition between them and actual painters, though im not op
>>
>>7664906
Well, I did rant abit yeah, but I was just waiting for someone to say it. Usually they do and quite early on in these kind of threads.

Still, the most ''poetically able'' rapper is probably Aesop Rock like people have mentioned but even then, most poets make him look like a down syndrome if you compare them.

Aesop Rock is peoples choice precisely because of what I mentioned in the earlier post... He uses alot of ''big'' words that the average hip-hop fan has to google to understand... This impresses them. I actually don't mind rap if you take it for what it is... Easy to listen to music made to nod your head along to.
When people start spouting shit like ''Tupac was a genius, he's so deep, he was so political blah blah'' that's when I stop listening. Same for when rappers believe that they're prophets or fucking activists etc... Just make music, you're not as fucking deep as you think you are. I guess alot of ''conscious'' rap is fucking pretentious and that's where alot of the rappers people mentioned in this thread sit.
>>
>>7664922
lol why do you have to compare it to poets
you are quite brave for using the word pretentious not related to yourself. step a bit out of the head and the critic and enjoy man
>>
>>7664940
>lol why do you have to compare it to poets
because people claim to be poets. rappers claim to be poets.

>you are quite brave for using the word pretentious
says the guy who writes a sentence saying absolutely nothing on a literrature message board. fuck off mate, you're just mad that your idols are all retarded.

back to r hip hop heads or whatever the fuck its called, faggot
>>
>>7664983
lol i really am not mad but maybe you are friendo. and my idols arent rappers though i appreciate rap music. i do not appreciate reddit. but anyways, i will stop arguing with a really clever 22 year old (or are you maybe even 23 or, dayum, 24?) after letting this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIC4yxaCIYQ
>>
>>7665067
what the fuck is that shit?
please don't tell me you think that's good? even for rap, it's not fucking good, you moron.
>>
>>7665067
Perfect example of how delusional hip-hop fanboys are. I'm LMAO'ing at your life.
>>
>>7664849
Yeah man believe me, nobody is going to put someone like Keats on the same level as someone like Tupac. Not many rappers claim to be poets, and not many people I know listen to them for much other than quick semi-clever lyrics.

point of the thread, again, was to see who the most poetic of rappers there was. Not to call rappers in general just as poetic as some esteemed poet.
>>
>>7665112
>nobody is going to put someone like Keats on the same level as someone like Tupac
oh no, people do... believe it or not.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.